Sloes and Bees

Ballymac

Haven't been on for a while so sorry if this has been covered. Over the last few weeks a friend had asked me to get a few pound of sloes for the purpose of making a winter drink. Anyhow I told him no problem I have 3 large sloe bearing bushes at the top of my garden and a hedgerow in the adjoining field full of them. I have checked recently and noticed that not only are there little to none on the bushes the wild damons, the blackcurrents are all in a poor state.

Question is this, has it been a bad summer for them or is it down to the lack of bees. Someone also said that there are not as many conkers (chestnuts) about.

Anyone notice the same thing or is it only in my area.

They are to be had but very few and far between. when you find them they are about in little gluts but you do have to go looking for them. From the middle of April onwards we had weeks upon weeks of cold, wet weather which kept the pollenating insects from doing what they do best.

I just managed to bottle 4.5 litres of sloe gin last night with approx 2.5kg of sloes. I could get some more which will probably make another litre or two at best but I'll see how it goes