Ford EGR valve

Ernest

Morning all

I have a Cmax 2.0 tdci 05 reg and the EGR valve is playing up , it has been for a while but tried to put up with the car going into limp mode but its getting worse.

I'm trying to go down the cheap route first by blanking it off rather than paying a few hundred quid out on replacing it, rather spend it on the shooting hobby.!

Has anybody tried this with the tdci and more importantly did it work????

At muchly in advance

Chris

Snap mine is playing up on my mondeo TDCI I'm going to start by taking it off and cleaning all of the carbon **** out of it first see how that goes then will have a look at blanking it off if I'm right the ones with the vacuum hose attached might not be able to be blanked off

It's been a bloody nightmare for ages so brought one of the blanking plates off eBay, about £3, so thought I'd try that first.

The ones on these engines are electronic and have been told these are unable to be cleaned like the mechanical ones, and looking at it it's a bit of a mare to change as well. I can just about get to the two bolts that keep the cooler pipe attached to the valve so should be fun.

It's been a bloody nightmare for ages so brought one of the blanking plates off eBay, about £3, so thought I'd try that first.

The ones on these engines are electronic and have been told these are unable to be cleaned like the mechanical ones, and looking at it it's a bit of a mare to change as well. I can just about get to the two bolts that keep the cooler pipe attached to the valve so should be fun.

MIne is at the front of the engine so easy access. What does the Blanking plate do and does it affect the performance?

Also the Egr valve is inline with the inlet manifold so clearing build up of carbon from the exhaust should improve air flow and possibly improve the mpg.

Mine is right at he back. Where it is circled on here is the rear of the engine and starting to go into the bulkhead.

http://www.tdocuk.com/viewtopic.php?t=9784

From what I have heard it stops the recirculating of the exhaust gasses going back into the air and fuel mixture. The performance is supposed to be a bit greater. Heard of a few doing it from new too.

When you say limp mode do you mean coil light flashing? I have ordered the blanking plate for mine will be taking it out and cleaning it at the same time this weekend also got the brake discs and pads to change so no shooting for me this Saturday

Edited by paulr5604

When it goes into limp mode, where the digital mileage is, the red light comes on down there and a message says something can't remember what now though. Then you have to restart the car to clear it and carry on or there is no power. The diagnostic software says EGR valve is at fault, PITA.

I have Sunday out on the clays so should really do it before then.

Edited by Ernest