How can one subsonic cycle when another doesn't?!

njc110381

Agreed on the winchesters, cant remember the last time I had a jam with them, cci's go through ok with the rare jam.

When I first got the rifle it wouldnt cycle anything but winchester, it was all in the mag lips, a little tweaking and some cycle tests got her chewing anything... even remington subs!

Mine is the subsonic model also.I can literally put through in excess of 1000 Winchesters before i get the meerest hint of a stoppage,but the CCI sub's just wouldnt cycle at all which makes me think they're just a tiny bit underpowered for my rifle. Im not that fussed to be honest because Winchesters only cost me £40 so they're pretty cost effective anyway and knock bunnies over a treat,but it would have been nice to have both options should my local be out of stock.

My Ruger 10/22 began to have problems after about 2000 rounds, the usual sort of thing - stove piping - failing to feed- etc etc

It absolutely will not cycle the CCI fragmenting subs or RWS subs, but used to love Winchester subs and Wildcats. I stripped, cleaned and lightly lubed the mags (just the lightest film on mating surfaces)... things improved... but still had occasional problems, I took it apart cleaned, de gunked, and polished the internals... fitted a new bolt release handle/spring assembly and fitted an aftermarket ( S2 steel, I think) extractor hook, then lightly lubed the whole shebang with Brunox turbo spray. The result is that it is now very slick and reliable but won't cycle higher powered rounds (like the Wildcats).... 10/22's work on a sort of blowback recoil to cycle the bolt, and I think (guessing here) that now it's so slick that with the high power rounds it's kind of overtaking itself, and trying to chamber the next round before the last one has cleared. It is however faultless with winchester subs or ANY standard solid (ie CCI, Blazer, etc etc) I redo the mags every 200 rounds and strip reclean and lube the bolt etc every 1000, now never have a problem (also rod the barrel every year- see previous thread) ...... Much better than it used to be when I seriously regretted buying it and ended up wanting to wrap it around a tree everytime I took it out ... I was driven to strip it, and play with it's bits out of frustration, but so wish I'd done it sooner and avoided the aggravation :)

When you say you polished the internals do you mean the face of the hammer, taking off the powder coating of the inside of the action where the surfaces slide and also honing the same meeting point on the bolt? I've seen a few videos of people doing it and it seems like a lot of hard work, although if it does make a difference it's worth doing.

NJC- Inside the body of my Ruger a lot of the 'blacking' was rubbed any way, all I did was help it on it's way with a felt disc on a drill, I figured that if it was being scraped, then the smoother I can make that surface, the less drag would be induced therefore the more efficiently the gun would cycle, I then went on to polish or basically buff the 'bolt' and anything it came into contact with. I didn't use an abrasive wheel I merely polished being very careful not to mess with the face too much... I think if you remove material from the face you may start getting into trouble... I've seen pictures where people have radically re-profiled their bolt... I wouldn't want to get involved with that unless I had a very specific problem that this would cure... metal surfaces when magnified look like ploughed fields, obviously all these little hooks and furrows catch on each other and impede the free flowing movement of two surfaces running over each other, I have merely reduced this in the hope that it would improve my action's efficiency... and it did. I will point out that the majority of the improvement was made by cleaning and lubing my mags.... and whilst all the polishing and the fitting of aftermarket parts certainly made things a lot better , it was a lot more effort and expense for a lesser improvement... although for me I am very very happy with the results and would recommend doing it , HOWEVER I AM NOT A GUNSMITH, I am an engineer, if you are unhappy with fiddling with the internals of your gun or don't fully understand what makes it tick, for safetys sake, please, consult a gunsmith who knows what they are doing ... even if only for guidence

I followed a few of the utube clips to make the ruger work better

did the auto release mod, makes loading mags heck of a lot easier

polished internals

nylon buffer pad, less noise on recoil

drilled hole through back of action, save removing barrel for cleaning