White Lodge

Hi.

I have a Pulsar N550 and I have been reading about the new N750 model.

Can anyone with experience of both models tell me if it is worth upgrading or should I px it for an Archer to go on my Duralyt?

I have had some success with the 550 but I thought it would had been better.

I find the picture quite grainy but overall I am quite happy with it now I have used it more.

It was on my AAS400 but now it is on my .22rf it gets a lot more use.

Any sensible thoughts appreciated, as always.

:)

Edited by White Lodge

The N750 is a lot clearer - especially if you use an IR Led Torch ! The onboard IR Laser needs the diffuser removing (done it) but it's still no where near as good as an IR Led torch ! The Dr bobs doubler is a good investment too - the onboard doubler is about as much use as the built in laser before you remove the diffuser !!!

HTH

I've got a 550 and my thinking is much the same as yours. It does the job on my .22lr but for a grand i expected it to be better. I have issues with shifting zero, shifting contrast and I dislike the ergonomics of the thing. I'm thinking of the Archer route, or I would be if I could afford an upgrade. I think I've seen enough of Pulsar. I do like the advantages of digital NV and I'm sure this technology is going to develope at a rapid pace, quality will go up and prices will come down. I'm waiting for a digi ocular add-on that works and doesn't break the bank. In the meantime if I was upgrading now I'd go with the Archer.

Not all scopes suit add-ons. Some don't fit well and some don't produce sharp images without variable parallax. Not sure how a Duralyt will measure up in this respect so find out before you buy.

I have just been looking at your post and believe you would benefit from trying a good laser in my experience this is the way to go with the N550/N750 i don’t own one but have been out with people who do, i use an Archer and have a spare N1000AP laser and when fitted it works very well and is a better option than the Pulsar IR.

shootingcharley.

When it (the N550) was on my AA S400 I found that the zero was all over the place at around 35m, not that is on the r/f it seems spot on at 50m, I still have problems with the brightness but the biggest problem is that the focus doesn't work too well.

I have the Dr Bob's kit which works really well and I have the Pulsar L808 IR Laser Flashlight too. Would something like the Night Master 800-IR be better than the Pulsar L808 or are they all much the same?

Edited by White Lodge

When it (the N550) was on my AA S400 I found that the zero was all over the place at around 35m, not that is on the r/f it seems spot on at 50m, I still have problems with the brightness but the biggest problem is that the focus doesn't work too well.

I have the Dr Bob's kit which works really well and I have the Pulsar L808 IR Laser Flashlight too. Would something like the Night Master 800-IR be better than the Pulsar L808 or are they all much the same?

I find the Pulsar flashlight does absolutely nothing. I have heard very good reports about the Nightmaster but I believe there is a mounting issue. As it produces a tightly focused beam with little spillage good adjustment is a must. The scope mounted bracket doesn't work with the Pulsar's side mounted rail. Some people have used a Millet adjustable scope ring but its a fiddle. There is talk of a specific N550/750 Nightmaster mount comming soon. Worth ringing the company for clarification. I'm tempted by a Nightmaster because it can be used with coloured LEDs for general lamping as well, though I wonder how cumbersome it will be when mounted on the side. Its a bad design. The rail should be on top. I'm waiting for new developements. There is a demand for decent IR illumination for Pulsar units. Where there is a ready market a product won't be far behind.

Gimlet your issue may be worse than you think. The night master can glare on your mod as though reasonably tight beam it's mo where near as tight as a laser. Obviously the standard mount fits a scope so if you have a pen shaped ir you may be able to clamp it to thAt

Gimlet your issue may be worse than you think. The night master can glare on your mod as though reasonably tight beam it's mo where near as tight as a laser. Obviously the standard mount fits a scope so if you have a pen shaped ir you may be able to clamp it to thAt

Hmm. In that case, maybe I won't. If like me White Lodge is using the sight for rabbit shooting on a .22, an N1000 may be the answer. I've no experience of them but I haven't heard a bad word. I don't fancy lugging around a duff flashlight with another one mounted piggy-back on top. The Pulsar's a big enough lump now. There's Starlight's Quantum Firefly. Anyone tried one? If its made by Starlight it ought to be the dogs but I don't like the price.

Funnily enough I have one of those, it's a tight beam the deerelight is very different far more like a floodlight. I've no idea on the pulsar mounting I guess really you want to find one to try, it would be exchangeable between rifles though with red and clear led's it would cover most situations and they are so light to carry compared to a conventional lamp

I have a Fenix TK (11 or 15) that I use with a red filter. When it was mounted on the scope I found that it either reflected of the barrel or cast wired shadows that would mess up the sight picture. I cobbled up a mount for it and had it hanging off under the mod, that seemed to do the trick. Obviously I was using an extension cable. That worked fine for static ambush lamping with the Air Arms, the problem I have with the N550 is that the sight picture is very grainy. I was reading that the N550 is rated for 800nm and that it wouldn't see anything higher, or if it did it would be less bright. The lower the nm the brighter and longer reaching it is and therefore more visible, the higher the nm the more covert is becomes but at the cost of range. I think that is how it works.

I haven't even looked in to lasers yet!