17hmr compared to 12 bore

for me the shotgun is just fun. thats not to say its any less effective. but no messing, hmr is for high volume, vermin destruction at distances at 100y and beyond.

i arent disagreeing that they are good for the job

i just dont understand why someone posts 'peppering a rabbit rather than a clean head shot'

i shoot hundreds a year with shotgun, yes i miss plenty, but the ones i hit dont run off with a warm ****

and i am sure many people with .17 miss aswell

As is so often the case threads end up all over the place.

I seldom use a shotgun on the rabbits and NEVER use them at night, just me, you guys do what you want.

I also struggle to envisage a situation where I could not bring home more bunnies with a .22lr (or any other rimfire) lamping or daylight, than any shooting partner could on the same site with a shotgun!

"Sport" or "testing myself" is something I am long since past, I take every opportunity and every advantage I can to bring home the goodies!

:good:

each to their own, but i am the opposite, i arent as bothered about the numbers game, i shoot because i enjoy it.

i am controlling the pests/vermin in a responsible way and the farmers i shoot for are pleased with my efforts so all is good.

i take alot more rabbits with shotgun in alot less time than my friend does with his .22, not due to him been a bad shot but the fact that they do not sit around for long and wise up to the game.

in my eyes, ferret and shotgun is the way to go.

good fun and clears up the warrens.

just my experience and my preferences.

not saying its how it SHOULD be and all should follow.

If i go rabbiting its with the rimfire and night vision with my mate..

ive seen another guy off this forum blasting cartriges off at rabbits on another permission...bang after bang after bang...for a few hours at a time..

in my opinion thats just going to upset farmers and neighbours all that banging..

oh dear, better all give up our shotguns and get rifles

are you been serious?

what about pigeons, crows, pheasants etc etc, we should shoot them with a rifle to ensure a clean headshot!?!?!?

He's on about lamping, my post was relating too that, so do you believe lamping with a shotgun is more efficient than a rifle???

He's on about lamping, my post was relating too that, so do you believe lamping with a shotgun is more efficient than a rifle???

where i shoot, yes

you wouldnt stand a chance with a rifle, as soon as any coloured beam of light touches the field they run for cover and i have yet to find any rifle that can fire a homing bullet that will get them underground.

I agree if lamping had been approcahed in a responsible way from the beginning then it would be alot better with a rifle but due to some fools attempting to lamp over much and shooting at anything and everything within 200 yards it is no longer a way of thinning out the cotton tail population due to them been lamp shy.

and as for the noise comment, we have yet to get any complaints from any landowners or 'neighbours' due to us shooting at night.

i fully understand and agree that a rifle is a very good tool for the lamping job but i will not agree that a shotgun is not a good tool for it.

sorry my opinion and experience is not good enough for some on here.

Just a quick one: if you lamp with a rifle they run how are you lamping with a shotgun then? Night vision?

funny old thing this but i can shoot them with a shotgun when they are on the move, not so easy with a rifle though!

maybe just me but i think that question is badly put.

we use lamp for lamping!!

i dont make enough money or shoot at night enough to justify spending such an amount on nv

i am happy with the results i get and so is the farmer, thats all good enough for me.

i agree that in an ideal world and for top results a rifle and nv should be used but like you said before this post was about lamping

i dont class using nv as 'lamping'

Edited by TJ91

Ok this thread has opened up a bit of banter, it's one of the problems of open forums and old boys like me who are bored because they are recovering from a Knee operation and not getting out much at the moment!

But I'm still not following the logic, you can get within shotgun range ( :hmm: 30-50yards :hmm:) and blat a couple before they get home but a rifle isn't any good? Perhaps a HMR would be, 150 yards isn't that difficult if you practice!

you wouldnt stand a chance with a rifle, as soon as any coloured beam of light touches the field they run for cover and i have yet to find any rifle that can fire a homing bullet that will get them underground.

We do a whole circuit of the land on the quad, takes around 3 hours

Your quad bikes are silent and you don't need any lights on them then? ( :lol: :lol: just thought, scrap the silent bit, your bunnies must all be deaf anyway with 200 carts going off) :D

And you talk about the cost of NightVision above ............. "i dont make enough money or shoot at night enough :hmm: :hmm: to justify spending such an amount on nv" ................... yet cruise around on quad bikes and shoot 200 carts a night?! :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Like I said...I'm bored! :good::friends:

Edited by Dekers

Come on boys, fair play to him, hes admitted he was a bit adventerous with the amount he shoots but for me if they are lamp shy the last thing i would be doing is going round the field on a quad with a lamp and shotgun, find the warrens and sit out early morning or at dusk with a moderated rifle, with the HMR you could be up to 150 yards away and pick them off like shelling peas, failing that wait till the vegetation has died down and ferret the warrens but not with a shotgun unless you like digging.