R/H gun for a L/H shooter

Bleem

I've recently received my shotgun licence and am currently looking for my first gun. Being a leftie, most of the guns I have looked at have been right handed and a number have a degree of 'cast off', making the view distorted down the rib for me. I've been told that the stock can be 'bent' to remove this cast. Obviously I could buy a correct left handed gun, or a gun with a straight stock, but on a limited budget the choice of true left handed guns are few an far between. How true is this, I wouldn't have thought that a stock could be 'bent' ??

yes they can,,,,, at a cost of cource, the stockmaker will apply cloth soaked in hot oil and apply the nessasary amount of bend cast requiered .

that being said.

1/ firstly are you left eye dominant, just being a lefty or righty dosent mean your equal eye is, check this first, there are a number of ways the one i find better is this one

look for a point of interest say the top of a telegraph pole or post a fair distance from you, put both hands open in front full stretch palms toward the target, overlap your hands making a small whole in the center, whilst you look with both eyes open at the target pull both hands to your face smartly, they will autom aticaly go to your dominat eye, now thats covered we move on.

2/ how many guns have you tried ? there are a truck load out there with all degrees of cast drop toe in toe out and any other funky name applied

3/ what is your budget ? take a look around the shops near you, also ask at any clay club or shoot you attend,you may find a few more friends willing to point you in the right direction.

4/ dont write off any gun your told is a right hander and wont fit you. try it every O/U i own is a righty, i dont need to have a left handed gun to shoot it well, i lucky i guess, my autos are all shimed L/H as the mrs is a lefty too.

54/ in your post you say the veiw down the rib is distorted !! dont focus on the rib focus on the target being shot.

now, before anyone jumps down my throat, yes gun fit is key, but one of many, you need to shoot a bunch of guns first and find one that fits you well enough that your comfortable and hitting birds/clays, make sure you have someone with you with knowledge and understanding in target shooting, this dosent meen you mate who's been shooting a little longer so knows all.

anyway see how you get on and let us know :yes:

Martin

Mate, I have just ordered a left handed gun.................ordered it today,,,,,,,,,,,,,its at the shop on thursday.......

Left handed lanber sporting delux.

I was going to go for a straight stock, but then thought why should I.....................If your spending 600 quid plus on a gun then get what you want..............

Thanks for the replies there guys. I have tried lots of different guns, both within my budget and miles outside!! Most just didn't feel right when bought up to the shoulder.

I was told this was due to the 'cast' and that this could be fixed by bending the stock - I wasn't sure whether this could be done and thought I would check here.

Thanks for the help. Pretty much drawn towards a s/h Lanber MC with 28" barrels which will hopefully be ideal for a bit of vermin control and to bust a few clays.

Guest Mr Pieman

Bleem

whatever you do, don't get the stock 'bent' to fit. Over time, the stock often puts itself back from whence it came! Wood does things like that. I'm a lefty, and up until recently I shot with a left handed Beretta. It fitted well, but I was only a moderate shot with it. I now have a Beretta 687EELL which is right-handed, but fits me perfectly. Guns are like women and licquorice allsorts - you have to try lots before you find your favourite :blush::good::good:

I am left eye dominant.

My Beretta will be staying in the cupboard soon. I won a bit of money and have have ordered an SO6 :blink: :good::oops::yes:

PP