Flat screen LCD Monitor.

Cranfield

I am going to change my old fashioned 17" Monitor , for a 19" LCD flat screen Monitor.

Having looked at the specifications of the ones on offer, at widely varying prices, I am rather confused as to what I need.

I do not play games on my PC, I just use it for surfing, emails, downloading etc.

What Resolution, Refresh Rate, Screen Format, Pixel Count, etc should I be looking for ?

The numbers on the specifications, mean nothing to me. :yp:

I tried searching for this as it sounds familiar but couldn't find it so...

The spec of a decent 19 incher would be something like:

Display size description

19 inches diagonal

Display viewing angle description

176° horizontal, 176° vertical

Display brightness description

250 nits

Contrast ratio description

1000:1

Refresh response time description

16 ms

Pixel pitch description

0.294 mm

Colours

16.7 million colors

Display, maximum pixel rate description

140 MHz

Scan rates

Horizontal frequency: 30-82 kHz, Vertical frequency: 56-75 Hz

Resolution description

1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz (native), all VESA modes up to 1280 x 1024 @ 75 MHz

Bare in mind the higher the resolution the smaller the text on the screen, the notebook screen I am looking at now is 1600x1200 but I don't mind small text/icons byt some people can't stand them.

I did post this question earlier in the year and couldn't find the thread to refer to.

At that time, I purchased an HD LCD TV instead, now I am ready for a new Monitor.

Thanks for the advice, its appreciated.

lol.... A moderator not able to find hes own posts??? What is this world coming to :lol::good:

On a serious note, the type I've had for a year or so is great (spec is on clicky above) not much out the pocket and you can link it to an TV aerial if you want.

Think the best bet is to pop to the likes of PC world, use them as a showroom and then get it from a Internet company, unless you'd rather purchase from a shop like PC world to go back to if something goes wrong later down the line.

Very hard for you to go on peoples own advise as the one they're using is better than the one I'm using and that's better than the one they're using.

You know what it's like, the one you have is the one to have coz that's why you got it.

Mine is great, there are better but for what i need it for, which is the same criteria as yourself, it does the job with flying colours.

Good luck with the shopping :lol:

<<<<19 inch Wide Screen>>>>

reasonable price ?

It's an excellent price Jonno, but it's a case of waying up price/performance.

That screen would be described as 'Essential' entry level in real English.

They seem to top out at about 200 quid these days, so it's up to Cranners to decide

Think the best bet is to pop to the likes of PC world, use them as a showroom and then get it from a Internet company, unless you'd rather purchase from a shop like PC world to go back to if something goes wrong later down the line.

And you won't get better advise than that!

I was in John Lewis the other day looking at the TV's, and one looked really good until I looked at another and then went back to the first one, I could then see the colours weren't quite right and the quality was bit off..

My son bought a 19" Samsung late last year.

The first one had a dead pixel right near the "start" box in the bottom left corner. They eventually sent him out a new one.

That was OK until this summer, when 2 thunderflies decided to crawl between the layers and die. He complained again and was told that they would replace it with a reconditioned item. When he told them that this was not acceptable, the call center operator passed the call over to her supervisor who told my son that he shouldn't have been offered a recon item as the fault was not covered by the warranty! **** customer service or what?

Guess what, we won't be buying anything from samsung ever again. :good:

lol.... A moderator not able to find hes own posts??? What is this world coming to :P:lol:

There you are, just proves that Moderators are human..............................well Axe and I are, we are not too sure about henry d. :lol:

To be honest, I didn't look too hard, not only am I human, I am also lazy. :P

Thanks for the help, its appreciated.

I will definitely steer clear of Samsung and I wouldn't buy anything from PC World again, if they were the last shop on earth. :good: