Newbie -- crows & apologies if obvious questions!

elegia

Hi All, I've a few questions about crow shooting, I apologise in advance if these are simple questions/ obvious answers. I just want to make sure that I am 100% ok, before pointing my gun.

I have a reasonable amount of shooting experience (a few years, but I still consider myself a bit of a novice). This is mostly rough shooting: geese & ducks on friends' permissions in another area (I have my own shotgun & SGC).

Crows: I manage an outdoor centre in central Scotland, and during the year the crows (and some magpies) are a bit of a pain. We are not over-run by any stretch of the imagination, but their droppings (on our activities) and "bin raids" can be problematical. Now is my quiet season - and I'm thinking to myself: I could do with removing these noisey brutes and could do with the target practice.

Legal bit: As I understand the General License, I need to have a reason to shoot any birds, I imagine the above (with the exception of target practise!) is reason enough. My company (charity) owns the land and I am responsible for it (devolved powers from my CEO, who is at another site - he would like to see the birds gone). We are rural and sit on our own --- but do have some domestic houses 400m away (down the drive) and are adjacent to a golf course. The Queen Elizabeth Forest Park (forestry commission) is at the rear. We also have a right of way running through the side of our site. I'm giving this detail as no doubt if some gunshots are heard, someone will contact the local police & they will come up. I, clearly want to be squeaky clean.

My thinking is that - it is perfecly leagal to shoot as:

- I am, in effect, the landowner/ occupier

- The general license give legal permission

- Have a SGC

- but should inform the local police ahead of time so that they know what is happening.

Would this be correct? Any thoughts welcomed.

Edited by elegia

Hi All, I've a few questions about crow shooting, I apologise in advance if these are simple questions/ obvious answers. I just want to make sure that I am 100% ok, before pointing my gun.

I have a reasonable amount of shooting experience (a few years, but I still consider myself a bit of a novice). This is mostly rough shooting: geese & ducks on friends' permissions in another area (I have my own shotgun & SGC).

Crows: I manage an outdoor centre in central Scotland, and during the year the crows (and some magpies) are a bit of a pain. We are not over-run by any stretch of the imagination, but their droppings (on our activities) and "bin raids" can be problematical. Now is my quiet season - and I'm thinking to myself: I could do with removing these noisey brutes and could do with the target practice.

Legal bit: As I understand the General License, I need to have a reason to shoot any birds, I imagine the above (with the exception of target practise!) is reason enough. My company (charity) owns the land and I am responsible for it (devolved powers from my CEO, who is at another site - he would like to see the birds gone). We are rural and sit on our own --- but do have some domestic houses 400m away (down the drive) and are adjacent to a golf course. The Queen Elizabeth Forest Park (forestry commission) is at the rear. We also have a right of way running through the side of our site. I'm giving this detail as no doubt if some gunshots are heard, someone will contact the local police & they will come up. I, clearly want to be squeaky clean.

My thinking is that - it is perfecly legal to shoot as:

- I am, in effect, the landowner/ occupier Doesn't matter if you have been given permission/instructed, but giving permission can also imply you are the occupier.

- The general license give legal permission The GL varies from country to country, I'll leave you to ensure you comply with it's conditions in Scotland.

- Have a SGC Of no concern, you do not need a SGC/FAC to deal with Pest Control, you obviously have to comply with the Law though.

- but should inform the local police ahead of time so that they know what is happening. Sometimes a good idea, each situation need evaluating on it's own merits, quite possibly a good idea in this case.

Would this be correct? Any thoughts welcomed.

Responses based on England, just be doubly sure the same applies in Scotland. :good:

Edited by Dekers