Decoy lines and weights

roughshooter

Depends totally where you shoot. I shot Poole Harbour last weekend and almost no tide. Individual decoys and very light weights were the order for the day. However, tomorrow I'm shooting a very tidal estuary. I use a mother line with a 12oz weight normally, but last month, watched my set of deeks drift off down the river! Now have to use 15 oz weight or peg down with a stick. As for line, I tried fishing line but seems to tangle, have tried the no tangle PVC line but have had it go brittle and lost three decoys so far as it broke. I have a load of tarred hemp line at the moment, which is very good, but B and Q have have some line that in my opinion is excellent. 25m cost me 14 quid. I know others are using brick line from ebay and to be honest, if I was buying some more, would look at this, but have no experience from it.

Depends on splashes. Some you will get away with nothing, others you need some weight.

I have tried a number of different decoy lines , flambeau braided is usless as it tangles too easliy , PVC line is not a lot better . The best option I have found is thick braided terryline , the type of stuff kids use for crab lines. It does not tangle very easily , very strong offers little resistance to water pressure in strong tidal flows so lighter weights can be used and despite being orange I have yet to see it scare ducks when using it in broad daylight. I think being under water the duck do not notice it. The only problem is that loses its strength after 3-4 seasons.

However you will need a shock leader when chucking out the lead . I attach a loop of thick strong line to the weight ( bailer twine will do ) alongside the main line. If you just tie the lead to the main line sooner or later the line will break and grip this while swinging the lead out. I frequently decoy creeks and fing 6 or at the most 8oz breakaway leads will usually hold the bottom.