sugar beet

farmerguy.22

I personally dont get on with plug type ear defenders, they make my ears sore very quickly. I also had my right ear torn off in a car crash in 1984 and although it looks relatively normal I have trouble inserting plugs in that side. I also hate not being able to hear anything when hunting.

I bought a pair of Peltor Tac 6s (electronic muffs) a couple of weeks ago and I think they are really good. I would certainly reccomend them. I shoot pigeons and crows a couple of times a week and you can hear the crows coming when they are a couple of hundred yards away.

You can buy them new on ebay for £38. Batteries are supposed to be good for 200 hours use.

Leeboy

took some up in the field beside me yesterday. alot earlier than last year what/how do you shoot the beet?

We had our first 20 acres of beet up today! Will hopefully have a chance to shoot it this weekend although it is going to be an **** to set up in! Roads to three sides and houses and a footpath to the other!! Ill work it sum how though!

Any beat done in your area?!

FG.22

Yep drove past 100acre field today, all cleared

Never shot in a beet field before, heard pigeons love it.

Shame about the Class :blink: You should get a big yellow machine :good: :blink:

Good luck at the weekend :blush:

had some red letter days on beet before a lot of people think they go after the leaves but when i have done them out find little chunks of sugar beet in their crops. normally have to be there no later than a couple days after they harvested them none lifted round here yet apparently cantley is opening later this year.

We have some being lifted here at the moment which is a bit unusual/early. I know Woody goes mad for it later in the year when it's been frosted but not sure about now. Still as they've pulled it the ploughs gone in and it's being drilled with wheat. I reckon that'll draw birds like crazy but as with all things Woody lets wait and see.

Good luck, i think its going to be near impossible to shoot it, dont forget the horses and school.

I think we should all try and make the most of beet shooting, as i learnt in college that the price is dropping from £30 a ton to £18 a ton very soon so dont think many farms will be doing it next year.

Alex

:good:

I have never shot over beet as they dont seem to grow any at this side of the Humber, but i did hear on the Radio today that a beet Factory in lincs is closing down and moving away.

Farmers there are saying that they wont grow any more because the transport costs etc will make it non profitable? did anyone else hear this.

Regards Sutty :good:

It is earlier this year than it has been the past couple! Last year was great as the beet land we had was going to be set aside the following rotation so we had all winter to try it! Although i never really made use of it which i regret!

Dnt see many pigeons on the field at the moment and had a look for somewhere to set up but i dnt think it is going to be possible! Just to darn awkward.

BUT .. drilled wheat has got pigeons attacking it and is a perfect pigeon shooting spot so will be on there on sunday i reckon if the beet doesnt get the nod!!

Sugar beet is not going to be grown in very big numbers at all next rotation due to the drop in prices (as usual)! Not sure whether we are growing it at all next year it is so bad! Will have to let you know!

FG.22