Decoying Crows?

SPEEDY

I was just wondering about how to go about decoying crows? I saw some Crow decoys for sale at a reasonable price along with a Crow call the other day and thought that it might be something different to try. I have never done any decoying before well other then putting a hen and chickens in a cage and waiting for a trouble making crow or chicken hawk to show up that is.

I have a cam net already and the pack has 6 3d decoys and the call is there any other equipment that I need and is there any advice on technique?

Hi Speedy

I use a pigeon magnet with two flock covered flying crows on it next to my crow full body decoys, used with a dead rabbit bait they can be deadly. Also full body plastic owl or raptor decoys and a stuffed fox will be mobbed by crows due to their territorial nature.

The fox used to be left in the garden and would upset the local crows and jackdaws big time, as well as suprising some friends and scaring the life out of my brother :good: .

Pat

Hi Speedy. I've been doing a lot of crow shooting over the last few weeks. Decoys can work well especially if your in an area that the crows already frequent. No need for any sort of pattern as such, just spread them out all facing different directions and have at least one as a sentry on a fence post or in a tree but dont set up so its looking in the direction that you are hiding. Some sort of bait helps, a split rabbit or dead lamb ( if your laws alow).

I haven't had a great deal of success with calls but I'm working on it. I've found that a distress type of sound seems to bring them in. The yanks call them all the time using rally and fighting calls. Getting a sound like an Aussie crow might not be easy with a typical crow call.

Add shot birds to your decoys. Even throwing a dead bird out of a hide so others can see it will often bring them in.

Best of luck

Leeboy

Some lads lobbed it in a skip where I used to work, one of them did taxidermy and was bloody good at it. The fox was in a rigid stance as if it had just been suprised with its head looking just slightly to one side.

It had a friend staring at it for five minutes through the patio windows, he could not believe they could stand so still :good::blush: :blink: . I told my brother to watch out as I was keeping a pet fox in my old car, he thought I was bulling him, looked through the open car window to see a fox staring back at him from a foot away, he nearly **** a brick :blink: :blink: . I even put it under one of the security lights at work, one of the girls activated the light saw a very large life like fox standing a few feet away and jumped out of her skin. Sadly the fox became too foxed to use, and I never met the lads again, so he went to the tip and I cannot replace him :lol: .

Pat