Stalking rabbits with an air rifle

dazzyboi

I have on and off days but lately iv been having mainly off.

Iv been saving up for a PCP rifle and at the moment im stuck with a HW35 spring oporated .22 rifle (10-11ft lbs) which has an effective range of 25-30yards...But Lately when iv been out stalking rabbits, they are there, but they always seem to far away.

I do my best to get as close as possible i can never seem to get within the effective range without them bolting unless i am really really lucky. This poses a threat with the field i am using as its quite open, and until i get my shotgun licence so i can bring my lanber home from the gunshop im having to stick with the air rifle.

I do have another shoot i goto where the vacinity of the land is closer together thus keeping the bunnys within a good shooting distance.

Is there any other way around this..How effective is setting up a hide in the evening and shooting short range (20-30 yards) at bunnys from the hide?

Dazzboi

Im sure you are Auth to fire a shotgun if the person you are with as a valid SG Cert.(Im sure this is correct)

As i went clay shooting with the father in law before i applied for the SGL, if so, I do have a spare 12G which you could use, if you wanted some company at any time..thats before I trade them in for the Berretta Silver Pigoen 3 :good:

Spaniel

Rabbits see mostly by movement. Set your hide so you don't wind them, and stay still - works brilliant.

Not sure what range you think you are going to be shooting bunnies with your shotty fella, but it sure isn't going to be much more than 40yds at a push! :good:

Rabbits see mostly by movement. Set your hide so you don't wind them, and stay still - works brilliant.

Not sure what range you think you are going to be shooting bunnies with your shotty fella, but it sure isn't going to be much more than 40yds at a push! :blush:

the advantage with a shotgun is that you can take out bunnies as they are bolting :good:

the advantage with a shotgun is that you can take out bunnies as they are bolting :good:

Correctamondo!!

40 yards effective range with a shotgun and more change of a hit because its obviously multiple pellets..Air rifle is harder.

I think its because i am so used to shooting them within a closer range (between 15-20 yards) and these are open fields.

I might give the hide ago some day, just aslong as its known to be effective, especially with my limited range.

Spaniel, If your up for going out shooting that would be great (aslong as your 100% sure i dont need a licence if im with someone) Do you have any permission on land over here??

Dazzboi

Im sure you are Auth to fire a shotgun if the person you are with as a valid SG Cert.(Im sure this is correct)

As i went clay shooting with the father in law before i applied for the SGL, if so, I do have a spare 12G which you could use, if you wanted some company at any time..thats before I trade them in for the Berretta Silver Pigoen 3 :good:

Spaniel

You can only shoot on registered clay shoots without a certificate, or with the landowner if you are shooting with his gun. (according to my firearms man)

Dazzboi

As i went clay shooting with the father in law before i applied for the SGL, if so, I do have a spare 12G which you could use, if you wanted some company at any time..thats before I trade them in for the Berretta Silver Pigoen 3 :blush:

Spaniel

You can only shoot on registered clay shoots without a certificate, or with the landowner if you are shooting with his gun. (according to my firearms man)

Just have to wait for my SGC then :good:

You have PM...............

You still not got it thru yet mate...............your 1 behind on the kill front............got my first one tonight...

Oh,,,,,,,,and Ive scratched my stock too...................aint it brill........ :blush: :blink: :blink:

You got your SGC and your lanber??

You ****** :good: :blink:

replied to your pm

Thats a shame mate, wasnt sure if it was different for clay and Live shooting,

im sure you will not have to wait to long to get the SGL.

I am about to get off my backside to start to look for some land to shoot on, over this way...I wanted to give it ago first of all before i actually did this, but i think my only option is to start lookig and see what it brings up.

I will let you know how it goes,

Cheers Spaniel

I am more than aware of that thanks mate :blush:

Correctamondo!!

40 yards effective range with a shotgun and more change of a hit because its obviously multiple pellets..Air rifle is harder.

Heh, do you mean you are trying to shoot them bolting with your air gun? Good luck with that fella, if you do hit any can I ask you to pick me 6 numbers between 1 and 49 and PM me them :blink:

I am more than aware of that thanks mate :blush:

Correctamondo!!

Heh, do you mean you are trying to shoot them bolting with your air gun? Good luck with that fella, if you do hit any can I ask you to pick me 6 numbers between 1 and 49 and PM me them :blink:

haha no, i didnt mean that, i was implying that a rabbit in a prone or sitting position will be easier to hit at 35-40 yards with shotgun shot that a single pellet in a spring oporated airgun.

I hear what you are saying and to be honest I don't agree. 35-40yds to a prone rabbit is not SG territory, you CAN, but its no the tool for the job. Prone rabbit will always be taken much more easily with a rifle, SG is for when he's bolting really.

You can do pretty much as you please, but expecting clean kills with a SG at 40 yds with a prone rabbit, I think you might be surprised how hard that will prove to be.

When you enter a field with Rabbits in it try to get into a position where you are between the Rabbits and their expected escape route from the field...eg, to their burrows. They are much more likely to sit tight.

I used to do a lot of lamping with the airgun and found it much more challenging then using a rimmy. It's the best way to learn how to use a lamp properly and how to efficiently work the ground.

Mark.