Making a quad road legal

Tubba

Fully operational light system eg, main beam, dipped beam, side lights front and back, brake lights, numberplate lights, indicator lights(same as car system basically) plus reflectors, mechanical parking brake (not hydraulic) speedometer, mirrors, and road legal tyres, I think thats all

Alan

road registered as plg or agricultural??

I looked into doing both on a quad I had a few years ago, agri is pretty straight forward you need something on the lines of horn, brake light, side lights. not a great deal really.

If you want to go down the PLG route its a different story, as well as all the items mentioned above you have the mechanical side to think about and the cost!! For the test alone your looking at somewhere in the region of £800 plus any parts and labour for getting it ready, so say £1000. You'd be better off selling the one you have and buying one that is already registered!! Thats the conclusion I came to anyway or agricultural registered, depends what the use of the quad is?!

I've always registered them from new for the road which is relatively striaght forward althou if ur first road legal quad can be a real pest as need insurance to get number plate yet need number plate to get ins, when u've already got insurance it's a bit easier changing it over. Costs about £250 for the conformity? MOT type test which is a 1 off when gets regisered for the 1st time.

From wot a few agri engineeres/quad dealers have told me it's near impoossible to register an older quad for the road and a serious pain, well atleast they do not advise and won't do it due to the ammount off hoops and paper work u have to jump throu