Stretching leather

rtaylor

The missus bought me a pair of moccasins for Christmas, she took a punt on them because they were reduced from £50 to £8. Length wise they are spot on but they are super tight across the top. They must be designed for people with long flat feet.

Is there a way to stretch them to make them a better fit. I know cobblers use a stretching jig which expands each day. I could probably find/make something to fit inside them and expand little by little but is there something else else to speed/improve the process? Should I soak them in water whilst stretching? My mate once said when he was in the Army they used to put new boots in a bucket of pi*ss, I can't see this really happening but he is quite weird.

Failing all they can go on ebay.

I can`t offer you any suggestions as to what you might use for this at home, I`ll have to leave that to your ingenuity, but if you take a pair of expensive leather boots back to the factory for some adjustment in fit they will apply steam to the appropriate place and then use a special rounded last, a piece of metal that looks a bit like a large tow ball off the back of a car, and then use brute physical force to stretch the leather where needed.

I`ve used a wallpaper steam stripper and er..the ball hitch on my car to successfully do something similar.