scope

elz

.22/.177, what for? Hunting? Lamping? HFT / Target shooting etc...

If you want to do lamping / low light shooting get a nice big objective lens (the 50 part in 3-9x50 for example). The larger that part the more light it can gather which means more to see, which should mean more chance of shooting it.

Personally I think 10x mag is sufficient for 12ft/lb guns, some will disagree. If you have a .22 then you would deffinately benifit from a mildot recticule so you can better judge the holdover for longer shots (or hold under for closer). Not as much of an issue on .177 as the trajectory is a lot flatter so less holdover needed (on my .177 s400 I don't have milldot, don't think it needs it)

I would always say decide ecactly what it should do, then buy the best one you can afford which ticks all the boxes.

The one last confusing thing is to consider what you might want to use the scope for in the future, say if you were thinking FAC in the fullness of time, consider if its worth buying something which is more than you need but which will do a job of work later on for you.

Edit: for .22 I would plum for the Hawke Nite-Eye 3-9x50 Mil-Dot IR if you wanted to do lamping / night work, loose the IR if you don't or think its a gimmick. About £85 sheets street price

Or Hawke Reflex Mil-Dot 3-9x50 mil-dot. Rimfire/spring rated, and about £80 sheets

Just in case its not obvious I just literally looked for a half decent make at about the price quoted from BAR for the spec I thought would be reasonable given the usage.

There are loads of better scopes on the market, and a few a lot worse. Worth looking out for the features from some other makes to ensure you get whats right. If you can, try one out - some people don't get on with some scopes...

Just in case its not obvious I just literally looked for a half decent make at about the price quoted from BAR for the spec I thought would be reasonable given the usage.

Yes thats what im doing but there are lots of scopes around the £100 mark so i want to know what people think is the best for the price??

Hense why magazines write reviews

i got my self a hawke ar 6-18-44 on my weirauch .22

cant fault the scope at all , might be a bit over your price bracket though

got ags vipir 3-9-40 on my logun solo and there not a bad starter scope £89.99 from drapers of notts ?

anyway like has been said before the scope is as important as the gun so buy the best you can afford

rgds

oldandnew

I'm sure roeblade, skyfox, Snakey or one of the others will be along soon to see you right mate. I think ferretmaster recently got a hawke scope so could comment on how he's found that?

OI! you calling me a fish????? I'll have you and will make it lok like an accident! ???

But i cant realy give any advice on scopes, i have only owned about 4 or 5, although i have had over 40 rifles!

the best shooing i did was with a 4x40 tasco that cost me £15 second hand, no bells no whistles just point the thing and pull the trigger!

But if you buy second hand that opens up a whole new market to you and then you should be able to get a much higher quality scope.

What i would say is have a good think about what you want the scope for, targets or vermin? for targets you want somehting with a high mag and range finding capabilities, for vermin you want high quality glass to give the best image, i dont know anyone that uses range finder scopes for that job in the field, mainly becasue you dont want to be looking over the rifle when you should be lookin through the scope.

idealy you want a scope 3-9 or 4-12x40/50 NON pa NON iluminated reticle WITH mildots (though not a fan of them).

try as many as you can, though my personal choice is a bushnell trophy 3-9x40 its been walloped its been dropped its been layign on ice its been covered in mud (ok so maybe this last is an exageration LOL) but its still going strong and never looses zero. I have seen these from as little as £85 new.

hope this helps you out

ROB ???

I have to agree with Roblade here....I've only really used a handful of scopes myself as I tend to take them off the old rifle and put them on the new one LOL.....I have learned a few useful lessons about them tho....

e.g. If you are after a hunting scope, then its likely that (like the Simmons AETEC range) they may be pre-parallaxed which means that you get an instant clear picture when you see quarry...which can be useful, but has no real rangefinding capabilities. Mil-dot and MAP are useful here too...especially when shooting at long range.

If you are doing a lot of HFT then your gonna want a Mil-Dot scope or MAP (multiple aim point scope) and adjustable parallax for range finding im sure....although its much more useful for 22 than 177.

Sorry to ramble, basically stick with a 40mm + and make sure its variable ideally....I only really use 4-6x mag when out hunting because I find anything above that is hard to keep steady, but in HFT they use very high mag in some instances. A cheap scope will give you problems such as reflections and low definition, so stick to a well known brand and range like Simmons, Hawke, etc etc.

-Andrew

e.g. If you are after a hunting scope, then its likely that (like the Simmons AETEC range) they may be pre-parallaxed which means that you get an instant clear picture when you see quarry...which can be useful, but has no real rangefinding capabilities. Mil-dot and MAP are useful here too...especially when shooting at long range.

If you are doing a lot of HFT then your gonna want a Mil-Dot scope or MAP (multiple aim point scope) and adjustable parallax for range finding im sure....although its much more useful for 22 than 177.

Sorry to ramble, basically stick with a 40mm + and make sure its variable ideally....I only really use 4-6x mag when out hunting because I find anything above that is hard to keep steady, but in HFT they use very high mag in some instances. A cheap scope will give you problems such as reflections and low definition, so stick to a well known brand and range like Simmons, Hawke, etc etc.

-Andrew

Andrew sorry to pick BUT.....

if a scope is pre paralexed, which i really hope it has been! (other wise you wont see anything but blurr regardless of distance) But if its a "NORMAL" scope that is paralax set to 100yards its a very easy job to "RE-PARALAX" the scope for airgun ranges so nothing to worry about here. The only ones im not too sure about here are the asymetrical lenses in some scopes.

Again the mil dots or any other MAP type scope only work IF you know the distance your aiming at though have to admit i have never had any problems with a fin 30/30 reticle NOT the type on hawke scopes!

If your going to do HFT mil dot might be useful but its only as good as your range finding abilities. you will alsp NOT need any adustments on the scope FIXED MAG NON PA would be the perfect scope for HFT, your not alowed to make any adjustments to your scope at all once you have taken the first shot. If your talking FT then you want magnification as high as possible and as accurate range finding as possible the higher the mag the more better and more accurate the range finder will be

the best scope i could recomend is probably one you wouldnt even lok twice at in a shop, A WHIT TAIL CLASSIC 1.5-5X20 (yes thats a 20mm objective lens!!!) it blows away the conception that you need a larg objective lens for low light shooting! and its a good range findign scope! if the paralax is set to 30 yards anything beyond 35 yards is a little blurry, so easy to tell distance if its blurry its out of range!

As for staying away from low pricrd scopes i would haveto include the entire hawke range! (this includes the sidewinders!) the biggets problem hawke have is theri inability to maintain zer when using a variable mag scope. A good test for this is to get a fresh target and zero the rifle in, then give it one complete turn (count the clicks) up, do a 5 shot group, one complete turn left, fire a 5 shot group repeat the proces for down and then finaly left, if you have a decent scope you should find your back at your zero range if you have a bad scope at best it will only be close. But if you repeat this for the lowest and then the highest mag for the scope you will probably find some very interesting results (this applies to almost all the hawke range!).

Would also advise you to stay well away from ebay when it comes to buying scopes, normaly you either get cheap **** on there or decent glass will go for really silly prices. best second hand prices are found on this and other forums.

if your hunting you just want a basic scope fixed mag (either 4x or 6x) decent size objective lens (40mm or 50mm) dont forget though you might have to get different mounts for a 50mm scope!!! fixed paralax (non range finder) and dont even go near illumintated reticle (it has lesser quality glass).

ROB ???

hi m8, i have a hawke 3-12x50 nite eye scope, i use it on my 97k, and find it just fine for every thing i use it for, hunting and target.

hawke scopes are mint, never gone wrong with mine, i am looking into getting a hawke map pro for my s16, they look quite nice.

but i agree what pin says, try one before you buy it m8 ???

Hi, as others have said get the very best you can afford. Realistically you're looking at Hawke or AGS who make very good scopes for the money, if you can afford a little more then Nikko or Busnell are excellent.

As for Objective diameter and magnification.....well for use at night (lamping) then it's true that the larger the Objective optic diameter the more light it gathers, however, the human iris can only open to a maximum of 7mm so the larger the Objective diameter the lower the magnification needs to be to get the optimum light gathering from the scope ie

6 x 42.....42/6 = 7mm

6 x 50.....50/6 = 8.3mm

As the iris can't open past 7mm, 1.3mm of the Exit pupil diameter is wasted.

Sorry this sounds so complicated I just used it to illustrate that lots of magnification doesn't neccesarily mean it's the best scope for the job. This is the reason that most (not all) deer stalkers used 6x42 fixed mag scopes.