First guns to apply for

JONAH898

Hello, my dad and myself both have our shotgun Certs and now are going to apply for our firearm cert. at this moment in time we don't have access to land so are joining a shooting club this week who hav a indoor,outdoor and full bore ranges. I have read several posts and read loads of reviews of people saying to apply for as much as you can on your ticket as they can only say no.

I was hoping for a semi auto .22lr and also a bolt action .22lr also .17HMR, wud also like a fac air rifle with mods for all 3. The main questions iv got is that for target shooting wud like the .22lr semi for indoor range so wud go for sumthing a bit different but for outdoor wud like a nice bolt action. The reason for the mods is wud eventually like to get hold of sum permissions ( sent out many many letters to farms) so wud be good to have them on my ticket ready.

Wot amount of ammo TO BUY & TO HOLD to you think is reasonable for target shooting at least twice a month?

Also got my heart set in a Winchester lever action too so wot caliber do you think would be best to apply for that wud stand the best chance if getting bearing in mind would have the other guns on .22lr?

Would also like a high capacity shotgun for tactical shooting and thought I'd apply for this at the same time.

Thanks for taking the time to read this as I know you prob been asked many times before but I thought the best thing was to ask you all for your years of experience cheers

You should be fine applying for a .22 each, BUT I with the .17 it's a different story. Even though its a rimfire it's f/s and m/e are usually to much for most ranges. When you say "full bore" if you mean .357 .44 mag etc.. Then you probably won't be able to ust .17 hmr but if you can use .303 .308 .223 etc... Then you'll be fine. Also don't forget you can't buy expanding ammo for target shooting, so make sure you can get hold of the fmj hmr. In regards to lever actions .38/.357's are the cheapest to run and accurate to but there are many calibres to choose From. Also high cap shotguns are a lot of fun if your range has got a practical shotgun range with nock down plates etc.. As shooting at paper with a high cap can get a bit boring. So in short be sensible with your first application but don't hold back to much, as they can only say no !!!

They say the full bore range is for long range rifles and has a 7.62 club gun to use, always wanted a lever action and wud love a original collect able one, wot do you think the feo would think about applying for one in .38/357? Wot do you think is a reasonable amount of ammo to purchase and hold ? Cheers for the reply remmie

There are a lot of variables in your questions, I can only answer from my experience with Lincolnshire FEOs, you will get wider answers soon, I am sure. As far as moderators go, FEOs in this area will not grant you a slot for a moderator for target shooting, unless either you will also use the gun on permissions (which you don't have) or you can provide another good reason, you might get one if you are shooting an inside range, depends on the FEO, it will also depend on what class and calibre of firearms your club is licenced for. As far as the .22s go, it is reasonable to ask for a bolt action for prone/bench rest, and it is common to have a semi-auto for Gallery rifle class etc. You would do well to spend some time looking at your club members guns before applying for lever rifles, a common calibre is .38/.357 magnum, or .44, by various makers. Unless your club is also licenced for practical shotgun, or again, or unless you hold relevant land permission, it is unlikely you will get a slot for FAC shotgun. Ammunition limits depend on how seriously you intend to compete and again you have to justify this to the FEO, a common .22LR target shooting allowance would be at least 1200 to hold and 1000 to buy, if you are shooting regularly, I also have a limit of 600 to buy and 900 to hold on .357/.38, but again, it depends on how regularly you are shooting.

FAC is not like SGC, you have to provide good reason for every single Firearm, as well as your ammo limit, if you are shooting target this would include the competition class you are entering etc. The fact that you are hoping to eventually get permissions will not be enough, I am afraid, you must HAVE those permissions before they will consider granting. Get your application into the club, they will have a MINIMUM probation period of 3 months, as recommended by the Home Office, possibly longer, and they will more than likely have a range of guns, members are usually friendly and will let you have a try with theirs, just be respectful and remember, some of the rounds you are firing cost them over £1 each time you pull the trigger! They will also give you good advice on what/ how to complete your FAC application. Good luck, and enjoy your shooting!

as said you need to join the club first and shoot there and gain the trust of the training range officer, make sure you sign in on all occasions, FAO will check with the range officer your attendance.

Regards the field you are best going out with someone, again gaining their trust.

You don't need a FAC for both these instances as you can own the range rifle and the field rifle but you can't posses it other than under the guidance of the fore mentioned as it will be/could be on their ticket.

what I'm getting at is that you need good reason and a letter of competence, they wont issue a FAC just because that's what you want to do,

these permissions that you think you are getting what quarry are you hunting?

are you a member of a tactical shotgun club? have you used a FAC shotgun?

don't get refused, just get what you need, things arn't how they used to be. good luck and as said enjoy our sport

If you want a .22lr for target shooting you can only use a single shot rifle, i.e. not a semi or even a magazine fed bolt action, it has to be loaded manually for each shot. Worth bearing in mind as per N.S.R.A. rules.

Sorry, no offence, but that is not strictly correct - as an NSRA Range Conducting Officer, I have to be able to check and supervise both single shot and semi-automatic rifles.

Under NSRA competition rules Section 8,

8.3.2 - If you are shooting Smallbore other than Lightweight Sport Rifle, you can only shoot one round at a time, but : If the rifle has a magazine, only one cartridge can be loaded.

8.3.3.3. - If you are shooting Lightwight Sport Rifle: When used with a magazine, the rifle shall not be loaded with more than 10 cartridges or projectiles, even though the magazine may be of a larger capacity.

Hope this clears it up.

Edited by Bloke

For my target shooting I have the following :-

.22LR CZ 511 semi auto

9mm Rifle

.223 Howa 1500 rifle

.44 Remington 1858 black powder revolver

I have a moderator granted for the .22 / .223 and the 9mm. If you can provide good reason then they cannot refuse you, good reason for me was to protect my own and other members hearing and to protect the local village from noise pollution amonst the many you could choose.

For .22LR ammo allowance I would put down 1200 to hold and 1000 to buy to start off with as there are 2 of you and go from there. I have 400 ho hold and 200 to buy on my other rifles so that would be a starting point but it all depends how much you are going to shoot as ammo is not getting any cheaper!......then we could add in reloading........

Edited by Livefast123

Basically I would conduct yourself in a sensible manner so that other club users can see you are safe, ask sensible questions and avoid the "when can I get a sec 5 handgun" comment, it never goes down well :hmm:

The beauty of joining a target club is that you can shoot a vast variety of guns, from a .22LR up to a .50BMG (depending on club). You won't know what you like until you have actually shot it, and you may find yourself loving something that you had never even considered before. The members of the club will probably offer you to shoot their rifles and you should grab the opportunity with open arms in order to shoot as many rifles as possible. A good tip here is always offer to pay for the ammuntion as some rounds are £2 + each, most will refuse but at least you have offered.

You won't be able to get your FAC until you have completed probation so you should have a much better idea what you want out of your shooting.

I guess that'll be me then :innocent:

Black powder is great fun and is so much more involved than loading a magazine and blasting away. You'll find that the loading process is a work of art requiring many steps before you are in the position to fire. I find this very relaxing and as it slows my rate of fire then it saves on ammo costs!!

You can buy a brand new Remington 1858 New Model Army revolver (like mine) for £240 and secondhand from about £90 so it is a really affordable branch of target shooting. When you add in single shot pistols, muskets, rifles and even cannons the choice is endless

If you are ever in Somerset then feel free to come and have a look

When I went for my FAC I was told that I had to be a member of the club for six months and attend at least 3 times a month before I could get a letter from the chairman to even apply for my FAC and that is Kent police may be different now

Edited by miller86

With the back log of applications in Staffordshire it took nearly 7 months to get my shotgun cert so was planning on going the club once a week and after a month or two send in my application to allow for the delay. Just doin research on calibers, ammo types, ranges for guns etc and also info on black powder as the club I'm joining has a outdoor range to that does black powder. Just doin my best to be as informed as possible and a sensible shooter

With the back log of applications in Staffordshire it took nearly 7 months to get my shotgun cert so was planning on going the club once a week and after a month or two send in my application to allow for the delay.

You wont be able to do that im afraid because at that particular time you will still be a probationer and could possibly even make them suspicious of your motives. I deal with memberships at a club and i notify the Police that Mr XYZ has completed his probationary training and has been made a 'full' member.

Sorry chap,but you cant avoid the minimum proby term.

You wont be able to do that im afraid because at that particular time you will still be a probationer and could possibly even make them suspicious of your motives. I deal with memberships at a club and i notify the Police that Mr XYZ has completed his probationary training and has been made a 'full' member.

Sorry chap,but you cant avoid the minimum proby term.

No, you certainly can't, but some FEOs up this part of the world have been willing to process a person's (once that person has officially started their probationary period) application for their FAC before they completed their probation, the FEO can then do all the checks etc, in one case, after they had chatted to the club secretary, the FEO even did the home visit, but held the final part of the process (i.e. the confirmation that the person was a FULL member of a club and has completed probation) until so notified by the club.

In the case of the last member, because all the work was done beforehand, as soon as the club confirmed (in writing, of course) that the probation was successfully completed, they were able to issue the licence immediately. A process that, because of the usual delays, can take up to nine months including the probation period, was shortened to just under 10 days after the probation was completed, very sensible way of going on for my liking!

Having said that, I think these few cases were for applicants who already held a current SGC, because the FEO knows many of the checks have already been done, the applicant has already proved to a legally accepted level that they are trustworthy etc, and just need a re-run through the system, with specific regards to firearms.

Edited by Bloke

Hello, my dad and myself both have our shotgun Certs and now are going to apply for our firearm cert. at this moment in time we don't have access to land so are joining a shooting club this week who hav a indoor,outdoor and full bore ranges. I have read several posts and read loads of reviews of people saying to apply for as much as you can on your ticket as they can only say no.

I was hoping for a semi auto .22lr and also a bolt action .22lr also .17HMR, wud also like a fac air rifle with mods for all 3. The main questions iv got is that for target shooting wud like the .22lr semi for indoor range so wud go for sumthing a bit different but for outdoor wud like a nice bolt action. The reason for the mods is wud eventually like to get hold of sum permissions ( sent out many many letters to farms) so wud be good to have them on my ticket ready.

Wot amount of ammo TO BUY & TO HOLD to you think is reasonable for target shooting at least twice a month?

Also got my heart set in a Winchester lever action too so wot caliber do you think would be best to apply for that wud stand the best chance if getting bearing in mind would have the other guns on .22lr?

Would also like a high capacity shotgun for tactical shooting and thought I'd apply for this at the same time.

Thanks for taking the time to read this as I know you prob been asked many times before but I thought the best thing was to ask you all for your years of experience cheers

Ok, nobody here can really answer this, it will depend on your region and what your FEO had for breakfast, but some observations on the basis this is your first grant and for target.

.22 SEMI is not normally known as a target tool, neither is .17HMR of FAC Air. Any and all can be used for target, and I have all those which are listed for target, as well as field use, just be prepared to put a case for each.

Don't say you want moderators for something you don't have a need for (permissions), it will not get you them, if you want mods try the H&S route for target, seems to work these days, a few years back asking for a Mod for target was never going to work but most regions don't seem to have a problem today.

Remember you must justify everything, saying you "may" want it for something in the future is not a valid reason! That's like saying I "may" have a farm with thousands of rabbits in the future so can I have a 5000 round ammo allocation!

But hey, ask and yea shall see! :good:

Quick question lads once you apply for each type of gun on your fac and hopfuly get it passed is there a time limit you have to actually own that type of gun or lose it of your ticket ? I'm asking as my dad and I will be applying for .22lr semi auto and bolt action .223 and prob 357 lever action so quite abit of money's worth to get all in one go main reason applying for all at the same time to save the £25 per variation u add at a later date