Ideal Cartridge, shot size for walked up Pheasants/Partridges

Suffolk shooter

Just joined a Syndicate on a 1600 acre mixed arable field/woodland/cover crop estate. Anybody got any ideas what might be the ideal Cartridge (must be felt wad), shot size for walked up pheasant, partridges with the odd Hare, rabbit, fox and Woodcock? Loads and Loads of Pigeons too.

Some Mags I've read suggest a 32grm No 5 others a 32grm No 6, but not really advisable for either Fox or Hare (Unless at really close range).

Anybody, any thoughts? :lol:

Hi,

I would have a few different types of cartridges on you depending on the shot. For example a couple of bb cartridges in a spare pocket for the foxes and game loads in another.

FM :)

Damn good idea, now why I didn't I think of that. Sometimes we miss the obvious answer. Just hope I can unload and reload quick enough with the BB if ol' Reynard makes an appearance. :)

As you're in Suffolk, go to Trulock and Harris in Framlingham, and pick up some of their own-brand "The Dennington" cartridges, loaded by Hull Cartridge. They're fibre wad 28g, #6.5 shot. I've been using them for a while on walked up and driven game, and they are superb. Very little recoil, and they hit hard. And they are cheap.

As you're in Suffolk, go to Trulock and Harris in Framlingham, and pick up some of their own-brand "The Dennington" cartridges, loaded by Hull Cartridge. They're fibre wad 28g, #6.5 shot. I've been using them for a while on walked up and driven game, and they are superb. Very little recoil, and they hit hard. And they are cheap.

I was up there weekend before last, and saw these, but you know what its like, if you've never heard of anyone using them, you tend to stick with other makes. I have a box of Eley Grand Prix, but i think I'll go back and pick up a box of these to give them a try.

Cheers :)

• 4 weeks later...

Right, After yesterday thought i'd better put what i used and how they felt (No Pun intended) on here.

In the end I went for 30 and 32 gram Eley VIP game No 6's in 65mm case. I have to say up until I had tried these, I hated felt wads, always finding them Punchy and had very little confidence when using for rough/pigeon or clay shooting.

These cartridges were even better than the Eley Blues (plastic wad 28g 7's and 9's) that I normally use, I felt no recoil at all, they were virtually smokeless the wads seemed to do the job, i.e. not disintegrating before getting out of the barrel and the two birds I hit were at 30 yds and 35-40 yds and both got hit well. I know these cost abit more than most, but to be honest if they shoot like this every time then I for one will stick with them.

Cheers to all for their advice :no: