Mossberg 702

bongodriver

So I have a new slot on the FAC for another semi-auto rimfire, already have a Ruger 10/22 Magnum (shoots well and I like it but noisy in WMR), so now want a semi to use .22lr subs, had designs on getting an Annie 520 series (familiar with them as my dad had one) but have recently got drawn toward the Mossberg 702, the price is a big attraction, I also like the looks, so far reviews are not scathing and it will probably be up to the task I require of it.

So what do people know about this rifle?

advice on any tweaking you could recommend?

can it be screw cut without losing the front sight?

Thanks in advance

I own a Magtech 7022, which is the same rifle a Mossberg 702. It came with iron sights, but has a scope rail. I needed to remove the rear sight to fit my scope. It also came threaded for a moderator. This is a great semi-auto, if you use the right ammo. Since switching to Ely subs, I've had not recycling problems. The rifle is very light, with a good pistol grip, the down side is the trigger, which has a long pull and a gravelly feel at first. I used fine valve cutting compound on mine and it got better the more I used it. I've shot hundreds of rabbits with mine over the seven years I've owned it. It is no HMR for accuracy, but for good old 50 to 60 yard chest shot bunny bashing you can't beat it. Cheap too. Check out my web site http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/ for my review of the Magtech, also a recent outing roost shooting pigeons. Ken.

Thanks Kenj,

Nice review, your analysis is bang on most of the stuff I have seen in reviews of it, certainly not off-putting, glad to hear the screw cut didn't affect iron sights, out of interest have you tried cci subsonic ammo?

only downside I see is that since it came in Mossberg flavour instead of Magtech the price has gone up somewhat.....unless the price you mentioned was second hand? I want to buy a new rifle.......so I know only I break it.

At the time i bought mine, they were selling for a £100 brand new. In the states in 2008 I saw one new for sale, K Mart, or Walmart for $49, plus tax. I think the pound has gone down in value against the Dollar and Euro since then. My CZ 452 .17 HMR with a heavyweight 16 inch barrel in 2005 was £285! I don't know what the 702 is today, but must still be good value.

I've not tried CCI's, I just know I had problems with the Magtech subs and the Ely's cleared it up. Remmington Yellow Jackets are OK too. One important thing with all semis is to keep the action clean and oiled. It's very easy to strip the trigger assy out by knocking out just two pins, allowing full access to the spring and action. Hook the spring out at the front with your finger. There are some good strips on YouTube for the Mossberg "plinkster"

Yeah I have watched a few of the stripdown youtube vids and it seems no more complicated than my 10/22, I haven't seen any mention of aftermarket trigger kits for this rifle though, maybe I'll get on with the factory one.

£250 to £280 is what they retail new, still not bad for a new rifle I guess.

If you are thinking about the Mossberg 702 and you like the price think about the Magtech 7022 as this model is identical.

Nearly out of the box, I had added swivel studs.

post-20848-0-59833700-1358805788_thumb.jpg

When I had finished!

post-20848-0-04504000-1358805636_thumb.jpg

The trigger is **** but you get used to it and it gets better, it is VERY reliable and I'm happy. I knew what it was like before I parted with my hard earned and had considered one over a 2-3 year period before investing, I don't regret the decision. When I first looked/used one they were £125 brand new, when I eventually bought mine about 13 months ago it was £150 Brand New!

I also run a CZ Silhouette in .22lr.

:good:

I tried a Ruger 10/22 in the States that had 25 shot magazine. It belonged my firend's 16 year old son and we shot a 500 box of Eagle bullets in an afternoon on a visit to his cabin in the hills. It was rare to shoot a clip without at least one jam, although we were in rapid fire mode most of the time. I thought it was a nicely balanced rifle and we took out quite a few jack rabbits, when we staked out a gully. Fresh meat on the BBQ.

I tried a Ruger 10/22 in the States that had 25 shot magazine. It belonged my firend's 16 year old son and we shot a 500 box of Eagle bullets in an afternoon on a visit to his cabin in the hills. It was rare to shoot a clip without at least one jam, although we were in rapid fire mode most of the time. I thought it was a nicely balanced rifle and we took out quite a few jack rabbits, when we staked out a gully. Fresh meat on the BBQ.

All semis jam, although my Magtech has done exceptionally well on that front but only a 10 shot mag, you need to find the right ammo and maintain it well, and hope you get a good one to start with (I'm talking semis in general).

Best I have done is 10 shots in 1.7 sec at Bisley, 100 yard target, all on the black around the bull, off the bipod, just the same I was happy enough with that for a .22lr semi!

Edited by Dekers

That sounds fantastic shooting Dekers. I could never match that with my Magtech. I fitted a bipod to my forward sling stud, which gave improved accuracy at range, but find it even better rested on my shooting bag, when shooting prone in the field. I don't know whether it's a recoil thing caused by my moderator. Do you shoot unsilenced at Bisley? I tend use the Magtech on a couple of permissions with plenty of cover, where most shots are taken at less than fifty yards to hand.

We were just playing with it at Bisley, it doesn't go there as a rule, several people in my club had a go and loved the fun, it's very easy to use copious amounts of ammo in a semi for pleasure! :yes::lol:

Shot it prone off the bipod and to be honest it wasn't that difficult, just hang on and pull the trigger as fast as possible. Mod is fitted for all shooting.

Rarely used as a 100 yard field tool, I have HMR and WMR for that!

• 3 weeks later...

I've just fitted a sling to my Magtech http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/improved-magtech-7022-field-test/ for ease of carrying with a shooting monopod, but also to give front end support when shooting to hand. It worked a treat. I've also improved the trigger pull by using valve grinding paste on the trigger hammer and catch mechanism, which has smoothed down the rough sliding surfaces.

Hi Dekkers, I can't get any Eley subs locally and am just finishing off 500. I know these work in my Magtech. What make were you using at Bisley?

I used 100 Remington subs to help run it in because they were very cheap (they were ****, not because of the rifle but generally) I use Winchester and RWS now, used to use Magtech subs all the time (I did at Bisley), very good and cheap, but their price has gone through the roof over the last few years.

Winchester subs have a big HP like the Magtech and seem to generally work quite well in Semis, I know a couple of guys with 10-22's who use Winchester and swear by them. The RWS get used as spares if I can't get Winchester, they are ok but a much smaller HP.

I know a lot of people rate the Eley, but personally their overall performance has never thrilled me, I used to use their target stuff all the time and rated that, but for field work I have found many that work better for ME! :yes::good:

Thanks for the info Dekers. Where do you get your Winchester subs? I'm east of Reading.

I think the last lot was Sheephouse in Maidenhead, Rob, may be mixed up and it could have been TFSA in Bracknell, Andy.

Probably Clarkes in Blackwater sell them, maybe worth a try at KC in Wokingham, (Don't know, very rarely go to either).

Edited by Dekers

I was at Sheephouse the other week. Rob said he'd be stocking Eley subs this year. He didn't try to sell me any Wins, but then that's him, not a high pressure salesman. I'll have a phone around. Cheers.

I'm pretty sure it was him I got the Winchester from last time (hey, I'm getting old, I may be wrong). 100% sure I get my RWS from him, he also sells the Magtech subs, as does TFSA, but both very expensive now!

Got some Winchester SX subs at Emmet Stone in Little Marlow. Nice little shop in a farm complex., didn't know it was there. Bought a 100 for £10. Took my wife for the ride and it cost me more in the farmshop! Thanks again for the info. i'll do some side by side targets next week, if we get some decent weather.

Got some Winchester SX subs at Emmet Stone in Little Marlow. Nice little shop in a farm complex., didn't know it was there. Bought a 100 for £10. Took my wife for the ride and it cost me more in the farmshop! Thanks again for the info. i'll do some side by side targets next week, if we get some decent weather.

Theres a turn up, I drive past that loads and never knew they sold ammo either.

I'll stick my head in next time! :good: