CZ 22 Hornet Modification to the Magazine

wymberley

Guys,

A favour if you would, please. I'm having a fiddle for someone and am stuck for information. If anyone has done the modification that permits the use of an extended COL round, could you, kindly, let me know what that revised length is. Obviously, this is a personal job so some variation can be expected. No problem, a fairly accurate average is better than one exceptional occurence. At this point, the length is purely magazine orientated so the ogive and chamber size are of no consequence.

Cheers,

Wymberley

Guys,

A favour if you would, please. I'm having a fiddle for someone and am stuck for information. If anyone has done the modification that permits the use of an extended COL round, could you, kindly, let me know what that revised length is. Obviously, this is a personal job so some variation can be expected. No problem, a fairly accurate average is better than one exceptional occurence. At this point, the length is purely magazine orientated so the ogive and chamber size are of no consequence.

Cheers,

Wymberley

struggling to understand that one. On the CZ 527 you just remove from the plastic filler till your new COL dimension fits. The COL is whatever it is as long as its safe- if you looking for the ideal col and to re-chamber then it depends on which bullet. Not a fan though as I fail to see the point of non hornet rounds, you seem to loose on one hand to gain on the other, if you wanted to shoot 50 grn bullets with thicker / tougher jackets and higher bc why not just go 222 OR am I missing something crucial here

struggling to understand that one. On the CZ 527 you just remove from the plastic filler till your new COL dimension fits. The COL is whatever it is as long as its safe- if you looking for the ideal col and to re-chamber then it depends on which bullet. Not a fan though as I fail to see the point of non hornet rounds, you seem to loose on one hand to gain on the other, if you wanted to shoot 50 grn bullets with thicker / tougher jackets and higher bc why not just go 222 OR am I missing something crucial here

I'm struggling too because I don't think I've ever been in the same room as any CZ, let alone a Hornet version. I, personally, shoot 50s via a nice smooth 12.6gn of you- know- what to 2770ft/sec through a stabilizing 1 in 14 barrel with great effect which you've complimented on before.

However, in this instance we are actually talking a Hornet round: The hornady 45gn Hornet. I can load these in one of my Hornets but they're very close to the ogive at 1.785" COL. Just before I saw your response I realised that what I should have also asked for was what is the maximum length COL of the magazine in its standard size. My magazine will not permit anything longer but that is of no consequence to me. However, ideally I was looking at a little room to manoeuvre in this case but have no idea what will fit into the CZ mag. I do know that that mag lends itself to a bit of fettling and was wondering that while remaining sensible what length could one realistically expect to achieve

Never having seen one, do I assume from your response that it is possible to extend the mag to suit (while remaining sensible) by 'filing' away the plastic filler as opposed to removing something totally giving a new fixed length? I figure that any work necessary (if at all) would be minimal and best suited to the former option.

I trust that the foregoing has helped to clarify things.

Ok, got you on that now. But why not just load to std Hornet col if its a hornet specific bullet it must be designed with this length in mind. 1.723" I think is the std

Good point. However, when the guy that makes the powder that you use says, "OK, a little squeeze is good but don't start hearing the crunch", if you have any sense you pay attention. The somewhat longer length of this bullet indicates that a bigger COL may be prudent. For myself, I think so anyway, but as I'm possibly going to recommend something to someone else, I'm going to make damned sure that we err on the side of caution.

Good point. However, when the guy that makes the powder that you use says, "OK, a little squeeze is good but don't start hearing the crunch", if you have any sense you pay attention. The somewhat longer length of this bullet indicates that a bigger COL may be prudent. For myself, I think so anyway, but as I'm possibly going to recommend something to someone else, I'm going to make damned sure that we err on the side of caution.

If your crushing the powder cornels, you might have too much in rather than need to seat the bullet less deeply. As you know its not the length at the tip that matters its were you are in relation to the rifling. I am not a fan of getting close to the rifling with a factory cut gun. I will check out the max mag length on mine if you wish, you might suffer cross over feed issues if your not careful in the extreme with std rounds I feel though

for 40 grn blitkings, my oal is 1.8.80,tto is 1.4.12

40 grn soft points is oal 1.7.50 tto is1.5 05

all worked up to before the mag was chopped,safe in mine yours may differ.

12.4 lilgun,small pistol primers, and crimped,cases are also neck expanded.

Edited by markbivvy