First PCP

tomgun

Just come back to air guns after a gap of 18 years. Purchased a Gamo CFX 6 months ago would now like to get a PCP for HFT and Hunting.

I am looking to spend around £300 for the gun and another £100 for a scope & silencer.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Not sure where you live, but if you can get a copy of Airgunner or Airgun World, take a look at The Airgun Centre, Rayleigh, Essex adverts. The guys in there are pretty good and can help you out over the phone if need be. They do Gun, scope, silencer kits and give free maintenance/repairs for life (to thye original owner only).

I bought a Daystate Presteige X2 thumbhole Walnut Stock, silenced, 10 shot from them and the hills pump. My advice dont get a pump get a bottle saves on the hernias. I had a nightmare trying to get the thing zeroed, but took it back to them and they found out the problemn was the factory fitted moderator not being machined correctly on the silencer thread. Once this was changed (Free of Charge) plus a new upgraded carbon silencer as the other one had been gouged where the pellets were offline at the muzzle (Again free of charge) then the gun worked fine.

What ever you chose it's better than any break barrel/underlever (I also have a Gamo CF30).

Happy hunting.

Rayleigh airgun centre is ok, but believe me compared to other places like JS ramsbottom and airgunbuyer they are very expensive (for new gear I mean). I've been in there a number of times and they know their stuff and have a good range, but shop around. I also agree about the secondhand market...look on places like guntrader, u can get some great bargains (its almost like buying a car but with less hastle)

-Andrew

Rayleigh airgun centre is ok, but believe me compared to other places like JS ramsbottom and airgunbuyer they are very expensive (for new gear I mean). I've been in there a number of times and they know their stuff and have a good range, but shop around. I also agree about the secondhand market...look on places like guntrader, u can get some great bargains (its almost like buying a car but with less hastle)

-Andrew

Hello All

Thanks for your replies.

Would you advise buying second hand from a dealer or private? I have been told PCPs require regular servicing so i am a little cautious about buying second hand.

I have had a look on the web and JSR look about the cheapest wot is the service like ?

Thanks.

I spoke to the guys at BAR, Blackpool Air Rifles. They were very helpful and the prices were good.

The rifle arrived when they said it would and was very well packaged. I was surprised when I un wrapped it all that the rifle was charged with air though! Still more than enough free air to zero the scope.

Jerry

It is best practice to keep PCP rifles charged, you can have issues re-filling if you let them empty completely and if they "vent" (completely empty) so that there is no pressure differential outside/inside there is nothing keeping the seal firmly shut and its possible moist air could get in the cylinder and cause it to corrode.

It is best practice to keep PCP rifles charged, you can have issues re-filling if you let them empty completely and if they "vent" (completely empty) so that there is no pressure differential outside/inside there is nothing keeping the seal firmly shut and its possible moist air could get in the cylinder and cause it to corrode.

I can see that but just wondered about the safety of sending charged rifle bottles via parcel post. I know you cannot send divers bottles through the post full.

:good:

Jerry

lol This reminds me of when I got my Enigma....it was already charged, and naturally the first thing I tried to do was charge it up with my pump...but I couldn't figure out why it kept reading 200 bar? then I tried it and realised it was already charged lol, I felt such a muppet. Its all good tho =).

By the way, when you say "regular servicing" theyre not massively needy....just look after it and it will look after you. Replacement Seals etc can be bought cheap enough and you can usually replace them yourself =)

-Andrew

The fx2000 is a good second hand buy and well within budget. The rapid 7 mk1, the superten, logun solo are all good second hand buys. I'd stay clear of the s16 unshrouded as it had a few niggles.

The only thing I couldn't work out when I bought my Daystate Prestiege X2 from The Airgun Centre, Rayleigh, was when I asked about a free tin of Pellets (seeing as I was spending so much), the guy agreed and gave me a tin of Air Arms, and said that the daystate Pellets weren't any good through the Gun. Go figure that one out?!?!?!?!?

I thought it might of been because they were cheaper, but no they were more than the Daystate pellets. It seems strange that an Airgun Manufacturer who also makes Pellets wouldn't have tried and tested their guns and possibly tuned them to their own pellets.

Anybody any idea why this should be?!?!?! :look: :lol::lol:

Hi,

You may get more gun for your money if you buy secondhand. Have a look at the Air Arms range, they will not disapoint you! :good:

FM :lol:

I have been searching for an Air arms / logun dealer in Wiltshire area. Would like to have a look at or maybe try out one before I part with any of my hard earned

Tom.