Air Ranger Owners - Advice please, 400 or 500cc buddy?

Marc M

Calling all Air Ranger owners, I've decided this is my next air rifle and will be placing my order shortly, but I have a connundrum over the size of buddy bottle.

I want the gun in .177 UK legal limit so am looking at 250 or 450 shots per charge for the 400cc and 500cc bottles respectively.

Thing is, I've never actually seen an Air Ranger in the flesh and so don't know which would benefit me more in terms of balance and feel. I've shouldered an Air Wolf but they have different stocks, but even so I thought they were on the lardy side in terms of weight (and that was a 500c model)! There is a massive 1/2 pound difference in weight between the two bottle options.

Does anyone own a 400cc bottle model who would kindly post their opinion, and ideally a photo as all the official pics seem to show the bigger bottle which I'm inclined to think might be too nose heavy, and too heavy in general at 8.6lb's unscoped.

What do you reckon lads? The order is going in on Monday, so should it be 400cc or 500cc?

Marc

Hi Mark,

I envey you buying either the air ranger or the wolf i looked at both of them at the Midland Game Fair. I looked at both for quite some time, i was under the impression that the stocks were the same, both Gary Cane stocks and the ones i saw were no different, but as you say i cant argue. If i was going to have one it would have been on ticket (FAC) at 40ftlb and would have gone for the larger capacity bottle for obvious reasons. Having been the owner of a rapid7 for 10 years i can honestly say that for most of my shots i have been in the prone position, therefore the weight of the bottle wouldnt make any difference, its not very often that you would shots free standing, maybe something to consider. Best of luck they are realy impresive air rifles from a good manufacture.

cheers Dougy

That's the thing Dougy, I originally thought the Ranger and Wolf shared the same Gary Cane custom stock, but having studied Daystate's brochure, and their website, it appears the Wolf has the luxus Gary Cane stock, but the Wolf appears to have more what I would consider an old CS style stock, from Custom Stocks (similar to the add on stocks you could buy for Rapids years ago):good:

The Wolf certainly seems to have more wood extending underneath the buddy bottle, which as in the example I have shouldered is a great spot for mounting a bipod, and therefore negating the problem with extra weight with bigger buddy bottle.

The underslung part of the woodwork looks (and I've measured the pics in Daystates catalogue, and blown them up to scale) like it is about 6cm shorter, and it all appears to be where you would site a stud for a bipod, meaning it would be difficult if not impossible to do.

Also, the Wolf seemed to have carved thumbs-up positions, which is my preferred way of shooting airguns, whereas Im sure from the pics (and aint it just a pitty I haven't seen one in the flesh) that the Ranger has a thumb-through only style availabe as it appears to be without thumb-up cut outs.

Maybe I'm wrong, hence wanting to hear from other Ranger owners.

I'd ask on the other BBS, you know, the one specifically for airguns, but due to sticking up for a mate of mine in relation to a sales deal that took a little longer than it should I've been banned access. Which is fair, I think... ?

PS And 90% of my current permissions require a walked up approach to pest control, hence the weight may be an issue over time. I don't have many options to hide up and ambush, and as such shoot mostly free-hand (from the standing position) or if time allows from a preffered kneeling stance.

Hi Mark.

If i were spending that kind of money i would have to actually get my hands on before i parted with the dosh.

You say you have the web site of Daystate get in touch and i am sure they will let you go and sort out exactly what you are after. The chaps at the game fair were very helpful and didnt mind at all having a chat.

Not sure if you have this website but have a look they were having special offers.www.jls-wednesbury.com

not too far from were you live is it £850 + i would travel

Dougy

Hi Mark.

If i were spending that kind of money i would have to actually get my hands on before i parted with the dosh.

You say you have the web site of Daystate get in touch and i am sure they will let you go and sort out exactly what you are after. The chaps at the game fair were very helpful and didnt mind at all having a chat.

Not sure if you have this website but have a look they were having special offers.www.jls-wednesbury.com

not too far from were you live is it £850 + i would travel

Dougy

Likewise..........both a beauts...........but I would go and get your hands on them first.......