Basic training

Al69ec

I no this has probably been covered numerous times but I have a 12 wk old lab pup. She walks nicely to heel on lead, sits nicely to verbal, hand and whistle, and I can stop her in her tracks no matter what she's doing. My question is I have a large paddock which I exercise her in soon as she's off lead her nose is down and she's away doing her own thing unless I stop her to do sits, recalls and short stays. Will this free running affect her future training when it starts proper? I no to let her be a pup while she's still very young but can you let them be to much of a pup?

At 12 wks its sounds like you are rushing a bit anyhow and at that age you can only spoil them by overtraining, a puppy wont ever go too far from you at that age The likely hood is the dog will rebel as it matures and undo all you think you have achieved OR it will become too sticky and lack confidence. Personally I should just play with the thing

I would agree with Kent. i had a lab pup (my first dog) who i had sat patiently at 50 yards until i told him to move, recalled amazingly and had a brilliant retrieve all at 12 weeks old. Now what I am left with is a very loved household pet who will never do a days work in his life as I rushed everything too much too soon. On the flip side I have my youngest lab bitch which I did nothing with till 6 months and now she is coming along amazingly!! Let her be a pup before you start the serious stuff.

At 12 wks its sounds like you are rushing a bit anyhow and at that age you can only spoil them by overtraining, a puppy wont ever go too far from you at that age The likely hood is the dog will rebel as it matures and undo all you think you have achieved OR it will become too sticky and lack confidence. Personally I should just play with the thing

A rarity I know but I agree.

My pup is a year old and we've only just been training stop whistle for a couple of months. Pup has loads to learn, house training, what to and what not to chew.. as well as basics around people etc. Most gun dog owners don't start training until about 6 months I believe. Too much too soon = too little later on. Another note - you challenge the puppy too much now and then when she's older - you'll have to engage her brain more because she's smarter - she'll get bored quicker and thats when you get destruction and bad behaviours.

You do need to manage any undesirable behaviour, for me a free running lab is not an issue as you can put the heel work and steadiness in later but you do want to be the centre of the pups attention at that age.

Personally I think too many people take young dogs out too often, they don't need much exercise. My pups are only out three or four times a week, you get more out of them when they are keen.

Building fitness and training can come later but for the time being yes let it be a pup, but not an unruly one.

Edit: condition the pup depending on what you want it do to when it starts working, any lab I have will be for picking up or peg/flighting work. If you want to shoot over it or use it for beating condition it to stay close from a young age.

Edited by WGD

:friends: