High Tower Protocol

badsworth

I have just come home after a very enjoyable afternoon with friends busting a few clays at the Purbeck Shooting School in Wareham Forest.

Can someone please advise me on point of protocol?

One of the stands is a high tower where a couple of the traps launch clays straight over the cage at about 40 yards height. Most of my pals stood facing towards the trap and took the clays coming straight towards them or straight above.

I decided to try something different. I stood sideways on and took the clays as high 'crossers'. My gun was never pointed in any different direction to my pals - it was just sideways on, and still safely within the limits of the cage.

Although most of my friends thought this perfectly legitimate, one of them raised a query about whether this was allowed, especially if it had been a pukka competition. Can anyone tell me if there is any rule against taking such birds sideways on?

Much obliged.

Badsworth

'Protocol' deems that as it is a driven bird it should be taken as driven towards you.

There may be Safety reasons with shot fallout if taken sideways on. But it does not hurt to ask before you enter the cage. If there is a problem the referee or ground owner will tell you.

I don't see why the fallout should be any different? If you shoot underneath it as a crosser, what is the difference between that and going up the right hand side as a driven bird?

not a problem, whatever works for you - in fact some people always shoot driven this way - cuts down the gymnastics as they lean too far backwards and threaten to lose their balance!!

This instructor at the West London advocates it for driven off to right or left but no reason why you shouldn't use it for straight driven either if you prefer!