Laurel as game cover

Scully

Apologies if this has been covered.

Our landowner,who is also a member of our syndicate,doesn't like Rhododendron plants as he is trying to establish sapling growth in some of the woods,and reckons Rhododendrons stifle the saplings growth.I don't know if this is correct or not,but in my opinion Rhododendrons are too slow growing anyway,so suggested Laurel .A 'keeper on an adjoining shoot is planting Laurel this year.Anyone have experience of this plant as cover for either birds in general or as cover for flushing points?

Yes and it is good and less invasive than rhoddedendron but does need management once established.

Layering it at about year 3-5 depending on growth is very succesful and once growing well can be harvested for cuttings every year saving costs.

It is pretty tolerant of a wide range of soil ph but will not take or thrive in waterlogged soil very well.

Portugese laurel is worth a look as well and despite what horticutural guides will tell you, I found it very hardy even in exposed high altitude sites, which tend to be the best drives typically.

Lonicera nitida is another good alternative and more rabbit proof. Hares and rabbits can be a beggars for barking laurel plants and killing them.

What the landowner said about rhododendrons is absolutely correct, they shade out plant growth and are damaging to wildlife and you can even get grants to remove them, if I remember correctly.

Laurel is less invasive than Rhododendron but aside from that they are the same - they both prevent plant growth underneath. I would stick to native species.

Lay them like you would a hedge after a few years. I only caught onto this recently and have now layed about a third of my 10 year planted laurels.

Just make sure they are laid in the direction of the drive so not across where a beater would walk and that they are laid uphill as sap rises. I have had a look at some in a friends wood, where they touch the ground they take root.

I intend to do a third a year from now on.

A