A Couple of Foxes

I thought I'd go out after a couple of foxes on a new permission last night with the aim of getting them on video using my homemade NV setup as I haven't recorded any for a while.

I borrowed a NV monocular from work for spotting and decided to park up and wait. Using a rabbit distress call on the iHunt app on my phone, I connected a speaker and placed it out 75 yards or so in a short grass field where I hoped to get a bit of warning of anything approaching. I backed the Trooper up to a boundary hedge and sat watching. With the moonlight and the gen 3 monocular I could see clear as day.

After half an hour or so I spotted a fox 60 yards downwind of the caller and closing quickly. I flicked the rifle NV on and picked the fox out. It was changing it's mind so I waited until it a shot presented itself and it dropped cleanly.

An older, good sized vixen. Note the spots on it.

077690C3-C88D-4906-BB37-5A6C6873E842-130-00000001E1FD4DF2_zpsdc5e4104.jpg

The second wasn't such a clean kill. I went for a wander and after scanning a tree line next to a pond I spotted it heading towards me. I steadied the rifle on my mono stick and waited for a shot to present itself. With the biting wind I'd lost sensitivity in my fingers and I released the shot early after taking up to much trigger pressure. The round caught the fox in the back leg and it jumped through a fence. I made my way over to where I last saw it but it had gone. After checking the video I was happy I'd hit it so carried on searching with the monocular. I spotted it some 150 yards away in a field and managed to close the gap and finish the job.

It was a smallish dog.

1374251E-F29A-439C-8331-E60D96CD12D0-130-00000001F01E304A_zps7cb87349.jpg

This video is a compilation of the three shots. Some quality has been lost with the editing and upload.http://youtu.be/KibjxBH__TI

That's four foxes in two outings on this 200 acre farm. I saw six foxes two weeks ago and only three last night. Three out of the four shot so far were vixens.

Setup is a CZ527 .223 with 40grn Federal V-Max ammo.

Cheers,

Greg.

Edited by Gregthegreat

Fair play to you for showing the shot you pulled! At least you had the skill, common sense and enough respect for the fox to follow it up, find it and dispatch it quickly, well done for that.

I always say if you can show me a rifle man who says he had NEVER pulled a shot then I will show you a liar. I don't care what anyone says, we have all pulled a shot once or twice in our lifetime. we might not be prepared to admit it but I am willing to bet that I am right!

Fair play to you for showing the shot you pulled! At least you had the skill, common sense and enough respect for the fox to follow it up, find it and dispatch it quickly, well done for that.

I always say if you can show me a rifle man who says he had NEVER pulled a shot then I will show you a liar. I don't care what anyone says, we have all pulled a shot once or twice in our lifetime. we might not be prepared to admit it but I am willing to bet that I am right!

100% agree with you there mate! I've just tweaked the trigger pull up a bit actually to help prevent it happening again. I did have it set a bit light for field use.

Nice result Greg...what are you recording on to mate....cheers

See above mate. It's an action camera type mini DVR.

Greg.

very careless shot on the second one! but good you dispatched him!

Everyone's been there mate, at least I'm happy to admit it!

Edited by Gregthegreat

I used a bullet type action camera similar to this http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/mini_dvr_h720.htm with the screen mounted on top and and an Odicforce 200mw IR laser.

i don't know how I missed that...iam ordering one of these on Monday somone else put me on to them...it's to record from my pulsar n550 he also said iam better off getting a new wire made up for it as the ones that come with it are rubbish he said his didn't last long at all...cheers

• 3 weeks later...