chamber sizes

I've gotta say I reckon we made an excellent choice by coming here.

Crime is virtually non existent, the weather is pretty good (not quite as good as Africa though) and the hunting, shooting & fishing is miles better than I could ever have possibly imagined. :)

take it you never went for the golf then ??? lol

I reckon golf is a waste of a good walk...... we lived on what's called a secure golf estate when we were in RSA....... we lived there for about 12 years and the only time I set foot on the course was once when I took my neighbour's 2 sons out to keep them entertained.

The good thing about living there was the security which is always a massive concern in RSA.

• 2 weeks later...

It absolutely isn't bad advice. I was first told it by one of the directors of Eley many years ago & he had their tech dept confirm it in writing to me & they have since re-confirmed it to me twice more.

I have however emailed Eley and asked them to reconfirm.

Just out of interest, any reply yet?

Sorry mate, I got tird up with business and then forgot all about about this.

It took me 3 emails before I found out Eley & Eley Hawk were two separate companies and when I got through to Eley Hawk they were very PC in their replies.......... From what I could gather they no longer have a proper technical dept and the closest I could get to one was a production manager who said one should stick to the chamber size but wouldn't tell me if he was just in charge of the machines or was actually a development engineer etc.

Then I tried the Birmingham proof house who said: "n regards to your recent enquiry, as a Proof House we would never recommend the use of 2 ¾” cartridges in a

2 ½” gun regardless of the overall length/style of crimping. I would add that we receive many shotguns every year for Re-proof, that have had their chambers lengthened from 2 ½” to 2 ¾”".

So quite honestly, I don't know what to think. I've always followed the advice I was given by the director and tech dept of Eley all those years ago and have never had a problem and have never had any feathering of a rolled case but that said, maybe I shouldn't.

There's also the issue that I was given that advice something like 15 or 20 years ago and that powders have changed since then and I'd probably get the same performance from a 2 1/2 shell now as I used to get from a 2 3/4 inch shell then and that of course raises the question of has this increased chamber pressures?

One thing I know I won't be doing is having the chambers of my John Dickson & Son lengthened because I've just had a quote for something like UKP800 to do the job! - Stuff that for a lark..... I only paid USD600 for the gun!

FWIW, Just before I left RSA I had the gun worked on, checked over and serviced by a guy who is probably one of the best, if not the very best shotgun smith in the country and he didn't comment about any problems at all so I guess the gun hasn't been damaged at all by the loads I'd been using.

Thank you. Think they're a matched pair as I had similar nonsense from Eley with regard to their subsonic ammo.

I think the problem is the world is so PC now & a straight answer is as rare as rocking horse doo doos.............. Oh for the days when a spade was a spade rather than an earth inverting horticultural implement!

To try to help the OP a little more maybe someone with a little more knowledge or a better way of putting things over could explain things a bit further. Lets say that we have a fixed choke shotgun that is chambered/proofed for 70mm cartridges. Would there be any difference in velicity etc between using say a 67mm cartridge loaded with 28g of 6 shot and a 70mm cartridge again loaded with 28g of 6 shot? i.e. Does that extra 3mm in cartridge length make any real difference.

It should do if the 3mm is used to accomodate more powder.

J.

I reckon golf is a waste of a good walk...... we lived on what's called a secure golf estate when we were in RSA....... we lived there for about 12 years and the only time I set foot on the course was once when I took my neighbour's 2 sons out to keep them entertained.

The good thing about living there was the security which is always a massive concern in RSA.

A golf course is a waste of a perfectly good rifle range!

J.