Help please with Belgium .410 proof markings

sir jasper

Need some help identifying/understanding the pressure proof of a Belgium single barrel folding .410 circa 1957ish...

On the barrel is the lion & P.V. marking so it's nitro proofed, but I'm struggling with the pressure rating.

I believe the stamp that corresponds to the pressure reads:

0-kg 664 ɤ

Does this indicate a max pressure of 664 kg per cm? If so, who makes .410 cartridges with an appropriate pressure rating; the 2" 5/16 oz Eley Fourten cartridges that I have are rated at 900 kg per cm.

Edited by sir jasper

Update:

It looks as though the "0-kg 664 ɤ" stamp indicates the weight of the proofed barrel, not the maximum service load.

Couple of questions:

There doesn't appear to be any indication of maximum service load - can anyone tell me if this is this unusual?

If there's no max service load stamp, is the 2 1/2" chamber an indicator that any modern 2 1/2" cartridge can be shot?

Update II:

Looks as though my 2" Eley cartridges will be fine; found the following text on the "fourten" website:

"Originally the .410 was designed to fire a 2 in. cartridge loaded with approximately 5/16 oz. of shot. Later weapons were produced to handle a longer 2½ in. cartridge load with 7/16 oz. or, as is common today, ½ oz. of shot. Most modern .410's are chambered for 3 in. cartridges which can be loaded with up to ¾ oz. I am not keen on the 3in. cartridge, its long shot column and the very high pressures produced are not conducive to good pattern quality"

There doesn't appear to be any indication of maximum service load - can anyone tell me if this is this unusual?

If there's no max service load stamp, is the 2 1/2" chamber an indicator that any modern 2 1/2" cartridge can be shot?

I DON'T KNOW FOR SURE but a max service load may be related to the proof marks (and, I would imagine, chamber lengths). Prior to 1968 there were two marks for nitro powder. The one you mention is Nitro Proof and the other - with a crown replacing the lion - is Nitro Superior Proof. This system continued after 1968 but the marks are entirely different

I DON'T KNOW FOR SURE but a max service load may be related to the proof marks (and, I would imagine, chamber lengths). Prior to 1968 there were two marks for nitro powder. The one you mention is Nitro Proof and the other - with a crown replacing the lion - is Nitro Superior Proof. This system continued after 1968 but the marks are entirely different

That's what I thought, but I can't find a pressure rating relating to the nitro proof stamp on my .410 (lion over the letters P.V.). I did however find a rating for the Superior smokeless proof you mention (crown over P.V.) - 17,600 psi for 16 gauge and larger. 20,000 psi for smaller gauges.