my 1st ipod

Guest newarcher1

Guest newarcher1

hi everyone, right i have decided to buy myself an ipod . The question is i have a load of cds i would like to transfer to it , is this possible, if so how, thanks in advance

Ok it is that easy but iTunes isn't the best software, if you love music then dugitise your collection properly arrange it properly tag it properly then import into iTunes and never use the iTunes default settings!

Do ya know... in a decade of iPod ownership (first was a gen 3 in 2003,) I have never had to change any default settings in iTunes other than in later years as capacity increased, I selectively used Apple lossless but over the last few years have even abandoned that after realising my ears cannot tell the difference between lossless and 192bit MP3 (most of the time)

iTunes used to (and still does AFAIK) use Gracenote to get all album info and import it at the same time as importing the CD... other than duplicating my entire library twice (pilot error) I have never had one issue with it, it has never mixed anything up or done otherwise bad things... in fact, as has been my experience with most things Apple, it has just worked... pretty much flawlessly.. AND... we are not talking seldom used, small library stuff here.. my 5th gen classic is permanently hooked up to the car hifi and my iPhone has become my portabl;e music device.. iTunes is running most days, all day as I always have music playing... 937 albums, 7,862 tracks totalling 89.39GB... and... other than a couple of occasions of user incompetence.... 10 years without a hiccup!

Don't believe all the anti Apple hype :no:

The trick is to use 192kbps minimum not 128kbps, not to "protect" content and use mp3. Itunes defualt is AAC at 256kbps

http://ipod.about.com/od/introductiontoitunes/a/aac_mp3_choice.htm

You may need to overcome DRM on some discs. Apples file structure can make it tricky to leave apple or play the music on other devices, better to rip as high quality generic media and import to itunes rather than straight to itunes IMO Also if you have a lot of CD's get a USB/network (NAS) hard drive and back the files up to a seperate location

The trick is to use 192kbps minimum not 128kbps, not to "protect" content and use mp3. Itunes defualt is AAC at 256kbps

http://ipod.about.com/od/introductiontoitunes/a/aac_mp3_choice.htm

You may need to overcome DRM on some discs. Apples file structure can make it tricky to leave apple or play the music on other devices, better to rip as high quality generic media and import to itunes rather than straight to itunes IMO Also if you have a lot of CD's get a USB/network (NAS) hard drive and back the files up to a seperate location

DRM has all but gone... as long as you change the settings so it rips in MP3 format you will not be locked in to iTunes in the future..

Have to admit though... if I ever *did* want to move to say a Galaxy S4 etc.. 50 % of my library is in Apple Lossless and I have sold a good chunk of the CDs so.. But.... there is a function within iTunes to convert tracks from AL or AAC to MP3 at the bit rate of your choice...so not really that much a chew