Rook Shooting

highdowns hunter

I have just bought a couple of crow decoys to have a go at crows and rooks.as there dosent seem to be much else in my area. Whats the best way to set the decoys Ie into the wind?

Will crow decoys attract rooks and jackdaws ?

Do rooks have flightlines ? The closest I usually get when they are feeding in a field is about 500yards.. What other advice can you help me with

Anything would be appreciated

Sorry I put this in the wrong forum

Ian :sly:

Rooks are hard to shoot! I personally think that rooks are a hell of a lot smater than pigeons and usally get together in bigger groups.

The most effective way is to get to you hide all ready set up before it is light and dont leave the hide all day unless you have to. Or take them out on there nests (proividing they dont have young) with a 22 Rim fire.

Good Luck  :sly:

Apart from thinning out rookeries in the past, I have never deliberately targeted rooks or crows.

I did use a large teddy bear (big glass eyes) to decoy magpies once and was suprised at the amount of crows it attracted.

I,m sure a large owl decoy would have the same affect.

We've had to shoot a few rooks this year.............their making holes in the Barley already..........like was said earlier.....make sure your not seen.......once they've seen you........you've had it.............we use dead birds for deeks........and that could be a mixture of rooks, crows & jackdaws.

Some people believe that and some don,t.

I,m one that doesn,t.

There is no relationship between crows and pigeons.

They don,t like to live near each other and they don,t feed together (as they eat different things).

The idea that the crow is known to be "crafty and wary", by the pigeon and therefore a good "sentry/lookout", defies any kind of logic. Unless you believe in fairies and Watership Down.

Believe in coincidence, it makes more sense.