Cracked lintel - fireplace

rocksaplenty

I discovered this fireplace behind some dry lining.

What’s the best way to fix a cracked fireplace lintel? The crack is fairly equal all the way up so I’m guessing that one side hasn’t subsided. The upright on the right hand side is slightly out of vertical - could it be that the wall has pushed out to the right a little causing the crack; if so would steel plates at either end of the lintel and then a bolt running behind the lintel to pull the whole thing together horizontally be the best way to solve the problem?

I’ll probably get a builder in to do this – but would be grateful for comments

post-2654-0-68205700-1365436746_thumb.jpg

I assume its natural local sandstone, in which case just replace it. Simple enough job. Can't see what kind of masonry you've got above the lintel or how the flue is contructed, but it should be pretty straightforward. Consult a stonemason. He will be able to work up a replacement that is sympathetic to the worn appearance of the original. Don't bother trying to tie it together, it will only keep moving.

Its Bath stone (oolitic limestone) with no tensile strength to it.

It has polished up nice though (the photo was before i cleaned it) so i'd prefer to keep it. The fireplace is in a room that won't be used much - i'm tempted to stretch the job out a bit. ..

A job to do when the in-laws come visiting! :yes::innocent:

In that case I'd be inclined to support it on the underside with a length, or two lengths, of 12mm X 100mm flat, or a 100mm angle. It looks from the picture that its not a huge fireplace so the steel would not be visible without crouching down. If it would be visible it can be chased in so its flush with the underside of the stone. That's fiddly but can be done. Reinforcing failed stone lintels with iron flat was once a common repair.

I'd be doubtful about pulling the stone together from behind with tension from a threaded rod. You could use a tie-bar to stop further spread of the bearers, but It won't stop downward movement in the lintel and you might induce stress fractures somewhere else. How far out of plumb is the right hand bearer? Has the top moved out or the bottom in? Nowadays the bearers and the lintel would be dowelled together but yours are probably just bedded on. If the mating surfaces between the lintel and the bearer are not parallel the weight can squeeze the uprights out of plumb.Make sure the mating surface between the bearer and the lintel are good so the bearer is in full contact and the surfaces are parallel. If it isnt, prop the lintel, chase out the joint right through with a blade so it is parallel, make up the gap with slate and point up with some hydraulic lime muck.

Edited by Gimlet