tough old bird ?

indio

Had a morning scaring some pigeons on some osr ( i say scaring 'cos i missed more than i hit ) on Saturday.

Now here's my question

I was using Eley pigeon 32grm 6.5's in a bog standard sbs 12bore which although i haven't had it checked i assume it's a 1/4 and 3/4 choke. Despite hitting one or two birds (hooray!) and feathers/dust coming off them, the birds carried on their merry way ( Boo). I would estimate the range was no more than i usually try and shoot at something between 25/35 yards. Is that about right for those cartridges ? I also had a shot with an Eley "first" 28grm 7.5 and that dropped the bird stone cold before it hit the ground. Same gun, same distance . Anyone tell me why that may have been (apart from the fact that bird may have taken pity on me ) ?

As usual, all advice comments / tips welcome

Why do you assume that the choking is 1/4 and 3/4?

The cartridges you are using are easily capable of your perceived range.

The fact that you connected with the birds but only loosened a few feathers and dust may well indicate that you weren't giving them quite enough lead.

The fact that you connected with the birds but only loosened a few feathers and dust may well indicate that you weren't giving them quite enough lead.

I thought that was a normal set up for a sbs but I appreciate assuming isn't the answer. I'm going to my local gun shop later this week so I will ask them to tell me (they should be able to do that shouldn't they ? Thanks for your answer.

will do. Thanks for the reply.

Measuring chokes means nothing just fire at an old cardboard box and see how tight it is and if there are an big holes in the pattern.

Personally I think it worthwhile to also fire at a pattern plate or large piece of card to see where the pattern lays relative to your point of aim?

Ok. thanks for the advice

Personally I think it worthwhile to also fire at a pattern plate or large piece of card to see where the pattern lays relative to your point of aim?