Planting laurel in pheasant woods

Hi folks,

I've been out with the chainsaw in my free time in various areas of woodland on the farm. The management of some of the smaller woods hasn't been too good whereas the larger ones are great. My plan is to fell some dead trees and rubbish to let the light in more. So after doing this I'll be replanting the laurel along the edge as a wind break, but in the middle would you suggest long strips of laurel or instead plant say 10m sq blocks? We do get good bramble cover in some areas but I want to provide warmer areas for the birds. Any suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks ferret boy. My thinking was that if I put it in blocks then the birds may flush evenly through the drive and provide sport all down the line. Did you propagate your own laurels, or buy them in? I'm in the position where I'll be growing them from mature plant cuttings. I have a bit of help here with my grandparents owning a garden centre in the past so hoping for a high success rate with home grown plants!

Henry

I have a load off laurel and rhoddy cuttings sitting in sandy peat the now, first time i've done the proper propogating thing with root powder, will see how they get on.

Thinking off getting a load more cuttings and just planting them straight into the soil see if it works?

I know that, not ideal. But have the landowners permission and ground is very wet and acidic think will be the only things that actually grow, planted some other cuttings into the pen the nite to see wot happens, some green shoots some woody. Even the sitka spruce in that pen wouldn't grow in the poor soil and were uneconmic after over 35 yr some still only 10 ft tall. Tried planting willow in the past 3 years failed every year, takes some doing for willow not to grow.

There is/was grant's for removing rhoddy's was quite surprised the owner gave us permission

I would also say henryo remember the areas u plant u have to be able to get birds out off it in the future so big areas could become a nightmare for beaters down the line. All depends on each drive and wot ur wanting out of it

What native species would you choose instead webber? I've chosen laurels as I know the ground is suitable and I have access to them for free. I'm definitely open to ideas for natives though. We do have other cover in the woods so these are just gong to be supplementary.

Management of the cover will stop them getting too tall/thick. I'm hoping to make small condense blocks that dogs can work in a structured way whilst beaters can still walk past with ease. Your ground sounds very problematic if it doesn't grow willow! Good luck with it. I don't know much about rhoddys but hope they don't become a problem for you.

Henry

To be honest i think there is very little difference between Luarel and Rhody's, both are pretty aggressive and fast growing and i'd say both have the ability to take over a wood and become impassable. But that is why they make good cover

The last few months i've really been looking out for luarel and rhoddy's in woods and both can get seriously out of control in left unmanaged

I think most species that are reccommended/used for cover can be quite invasive/nightmare if not managed to some extent, everything from snowberry, canary grass, honeysuckle, wild privet or blackthorn can take over areas of woodland althou most thoose spp won't grow to same hieght as luarel or rhodd'

I think it shouldn't be to bad to manage them as ground is so poor and acidic they could take a bit off establishing, actually there is 1 rhoddy bush in a pen i'm guessing 30ish yr old and still just a wee bush. I'm going to plant some else where on better ground but will be planting them well apart and will keep on top of them.