Range rover TD6 vogue

dobbin66

I've got a 53 plate TD6 Vogue, yes. I like it, mine doesn't want for anything, and is in very nice condition. I use it on days when I'm in the local office, sometimes when myself and SWMBO go for a nice weekend away. They are the ultimate in luxury motoring.

However, when/if they do go wrong, they can be very expensive to fix.

Good owners forum on http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/ - details of what to look for, support group when it all goes horribly wrong, how to fix it yourself.

Don't expect to see much more than 25 mpg, find one that has been enthusiast owned and well maintained, the gearbox on the TD6 is a known weak point, especially on cars that have towed a lot.

Oh, avoid 'chipped' ones. It has a very good chance of shortening turbo life, and if that blows, it will probably take the engine out too.

Edited by robbiep

Very weak gearbox's, have also known of a few td6 engines to fail, amongst other things.

To be fair, all of these TD6 engines are between 7 and 11 years old. If you hadn't heard of a few failing, it would be some sort of miracle.

The gearbox on mine was replaced at 80k (before I had it, it's now on 113k), and it's had a flush a few months ago. The standard 'box has a 'soft' casing, and this can wear quite badly - as I said, especially with towing. The other big issue with the box is that it is supposedly 'sealed for life' - though it is quite easy for a garage to do a flush/oil change, it is not part of any normal servicing. With big miles (again, more so with towing), the box can degrade the oil so much that it isn't being lubricated, and fails.

Basically, unless you have a 'contingency fund' of £2k, I'd not really recommend a Range Rover. Expensive (when new) cars require expensive fixes when things go wrong.

the engine in a td6 is called a m57 bmw. its a absolute gem. if you dont let them idle before turning off for a few seconds they will blow a turbo eventually. they must be serviced, with good oil at regular intervals. the gearbox on the range rovers are weak but you can buy a mod kit and if your handy with the spanners you can strip it and replace the parts yourself. i dont understand why people wont strip gearboxes as they are not rocket science.

Chipping diesels really does no real harm, as a diesel mechanic iv seen so many cars that are chipped and when they have failed not once have i thought it was the chip or remap that caused the fault. ( i don't chip or remap cars so please don't think its a conflict of interest, though my 330d bmw is chipped to death! ) most faults are caused by lack of maintenance or not letting the engine warm up / cool down.

I think when you buy any luxury / high performance motor you must take into account that they may cost a little more to run but if like me your a bit of a petrol head the positives out way the risks.