scope magnification question

magpieman

Yep that's correct. But, to repeat my question - what do you mean by 'true' and 'true' in relation to what?

As far as I'm concerned, each mildot can be 'arranged' to show a variety of POA/POI by adjusting the magnification and/or zeroing at a certain distance..

For example, on my scope/with my gun/on x10 mag/zero'ed at 25yds, my centre of reticle is obviously 25yds, my first half mildot is 35yds, the first mildot is 40yds, the next half mildot is 50yds. I have taken it up to 60yds which is three mildots down. But this was all discovered by trial and error, by putting targets out at known distances, shooting at them and then measuring the POI in relation to the POA on my reticle.

Dont know what you mean by 'true' either

Your mildots will give your different aim points and different distances depending on what mag you are set at

for example

if your mag was 16.......your aim points (mildots) may be 0 - 50yds 1 - 60yds ....2 - 70yds

however, at 7 mag........your aim points (mildots) may be 0 - 50yds 1 - 85yds ....2 - 110yds

The above may be much exagerated for a sub 12ft/lbs rifle but I hope it gets the point across

:good:

Edited by peek-at

Mil Dot potentially offers a lot, but that depends on the accuracy of you Mill Dot reticle, engineering, magnification, build quality, etc.

Simply The theory of Mil dot is that you can tell distance by the size of your quarry, but that will only be true on a certain magnification, that is commonly 10x (not always) refer to your individual scope for details.

i think i get it a bit more now, i was gettin a bit shpangled by the relationship between scope magnification and mildots, you've nailed what i was getting at with your message dekers. besides outlining certain fundamentals ive just gotta mess around with the kit i have over different ranges and take it from there =)