Chipping Sodbury Gun Club

arjimlad

I thought I would let you lot into a charming little shoot located just off the A46 4 miles or so north of junction 18 of the M4 (the Bath junction).

Last Sunday I went to try out a clay shoot near where I live. It starts at 0930 prompt every other Sunday. I took 2 mates and my 5 year old son, and we doubled the numbers turning up. Because I had 2 novices and my son with me, I didn't manage to get free to have a go on the trap (sorry lads) but next time I will look forward to sending some clays to their doom.

The ground is at the top of a valley, so some decent birds can be shown. In summer, there is more ground to use further down the valley, but the 'keeper has asked the club to keep to the higher ground during the season.

The whole thing was reminiscent of the times when Dad and I used to take a trap off to a farmer's field and blaze away with some friends. There were no bacon butties, no tea/coffee, no trappers, no electric gizmos, and no scoring cards, even. After the shoot we all walked the ground and picked up unbroken clays, which pleased my little lad no end.

We all had 40 birds and it was really rather good fun to get back to basics. We were made to feel very welcome and I will certainly be going again. It was all done by 11am.

It only cost £5. If you join (£50 inc BASC membership apparently!) then it costs £4.

So if you fancied mucking in on a quiet little clay shoot, this one might be just the ticket. PM me for the number and directions..next shoot is Sunday 3rd December.

• 3 weeks later...