what C F

bikemad24

Spoke to my fao on thusrday, i want a cf rifle for fox. He told me to chose what caliber i wanted then send a letter but could see no reason why it wouldn't be granted. This will be my first cf. i currently have a 17hmr. My fao told me a 22 250 would be right up my street but have a look around first. anyone got any advise? The foxes around me pm never come any closer than 200 yds and any squeaking there off. Its also very hilly and very good backstops on most fields. Basically welsh moorland. Thanks to all those who reply. Not to bothered about ammo costs either.

I tried to change - I was granted .22-250 and, obviously the land owner knew I was going for a bigger rifle asked me to thin some of the deer out - I called the flo and asked if it was too late to change calibre.

Put simply, I've got the .22-250 with fox and a.o.l.q and certificate opened.

To change to .243, Lincolnshire police apparently see it as a deer rifle and I'd need to get land checked and do the dsc1

I stuck with the .22-250, a .223 would have been fine and cheaper to run (ammunition and barrel life) but given the wind and exposed nature of much of my permissions, I wanted something a little heavier.

.22-250 and .220 swift both have a reputation for eating barrels pretty quickly. In an ideal world, I'd've gone with the .243 as advised by people on here; more versatile and seems to be a bit more barrel friendly.

.22-250 and .220 swift both have a reputation for eating barrels pretty quickly. In an ideal world, I'd've gone with the .243 as advised by people on here; more versatile and seems to be a bit more barrel friendly.

Depends what you send down the .243 barrel and how fast. If you follow the current trend of point-and-shoot 55grn screamers at 4000 odd fps, I can't see the barrel lasting much longer than a Swift's.

you have versatility though I tend to now use 58grn vmax's doing 3500fps or thereabouts on foxes and then can swap to 85 soft points for deer they shoot to a 100 yard zero while the 58's are an inch and a half high at the same distance. The 58's are a cracking fox bullet mine have a 200 yard zero and its less than 4" of drop at 300 yards, means most of our ground its point and shoot.

I so badly want to slap myself for saying this, but it sounds just the job for a .243. I don't rate it as a deer round but it's legal for them unlike the .22-250 and also smashes foxes senseless! If ammo cost isn't an issue then that's what I would buy for what you're describing.

I so badly want to slap myself for saying this, but it sounds just the job for a .243. I don't rate it as a deer round but it's legal for them unlike the .22-250 and also smashes foxes senseless! If ammo cost isn't an issue then that's what I would buy for what you're describing.

I should just point out I didn't mean .22-250 was a legal calibre for all deer - I'll just have to stick with those that are legal (muntjac, Chinese water deer and, if I ever get the opportunity, roe in Scotland). Not so bad given the hassle its saved me in my particular situation.