Shooting with a friend

rtaylor

What is the situation with shooting with a friend on his permission. I.e. A friend has permission on some land but I don't, can I shoot with him, under 'supervision' on that piece of land? Obviously checking with the land owner first.

Or do I need to get permission myself of the land owner?

Cheers

Depends what your shooting, if shotgun or air rifle and your friend has permission to take a friend then your fine, if rimfire/centrefire and open ticket and your friend has permission to take a friend again fine but if you have a closed ticket then you need written permission from the land owner and clearance from the police to see if the land is passed for the calibre you are using.

Just look at the wording in your conditions, if it says something like for shooting vermin etc etc on land deemed suitable by the chief officer of police for the area the land is situated it is a closed ticket, if it says something like for shooting vermin etc etc on land the holder has lawful authority to shoot its open.

It's centre/rimfire rifles .22LR & .243. We both have the same calibre's and the ground is passed for what we have. I'm pretty sure we have the same things on our tickets: pests/vermin, fox and deer. Is that more or less an open ticket?

There is no 'more or less open ticket' fella, as people have said, you need to check the conditions.

As per the other question, of course you need permission to shoot on someones land, thats common decency, and your mate doesn't own the land, so its not his choice unless he has that arrangement with the landowner.

Be careful shooting his guns too, unless he is an occupier, you'll be falling foul of the law.

Depends what your shooting, if shotgun or air rifle and your friend has permission to take a friend then your fine, if rimfire/centrefire and open ticket and your friend has permission to take a friend again fine but if you have a closed ticket then you need written permission from the land owner and clearance from the police to see if the land is passed for the calibre you are using.

on a closed ticket (land deemed suitable by the chief constable) . as long as the land is passed for the calibre you intend to use. you don't need to let the police know. you only ask them if you don't know if the land has been passed but on a open ticket YOU deem the land suitable.... and also always get the permission off the land owner even if it is just for that day ether verbal or written just as long as he /she knows you are on the land

Edited by fruitloop

Considering it's maybe a year or two since I read my licence and being a mere mortal I maybe forgot the exact wording of it. And then when situations change and a friend asks if I want to shoot with him on his permission I was just after someone jogging my memory as to how that stands.

Tod thanks for your explanation, clears it up perfectly.

Edited by rtaylor

on a closed ticket (land deemed suitable by the chief constable) . as long as the land is passed for the calibre you intend to use. you don't need to let the police know. you only ask them if you don't know if the land has been passed but on a open ticket YOU deem the land suitable.... and also always get the permission off the land owner even if it is just for that day ether verbal or written just as long as he /she knows you are on the land

im being pulled up for saying cheif of police and not chief constable :/ i think you will find differant forces will say differant things, thats why i stated if your conditions say something like etc etc, as for not notifying the police how will you know for sure the land is passed without contacting them and getting the all clear, as stated land deemed suitable by the police not by joe bloggs who says its passed, always better to contact them and get the land put on your file, unless open ticket.

tod sorry but it was for the op ... but if your mate has already had the land cleared y do you need it passing again ? ??? also most farmers know whether the land has been passed as the police do contact them and ask did you know that mr j blogs wants to shoot a .50 bmg for rabbit control :/:whistling::friends:

to be honest the land deemed suitable condition is a waste of time. as all land will have safe and unsafe areas . it is 100% the shooters responsibility to make shore you know where the bullet is going to stop. as you cant unshoot a dangerous shot

Edited by fruitloop

tod sorry but it was for the op ... but if your mate has already had the land cleared y do you need it passing again ? ??? also most farmers know whether the land has been passed as the police do contact them and ask did you know that mr j blogs wants to shoot a .50 bmg for rabbit control :/:whistling::friends:

to be honest the land deemed suitable condition is a waste of time. as all land will have safe and unsafe areas . it is 100% the shooters responsibility to make shore you know where the bullet is going to stop. as you cant unshoot a dangerous shot

I agree, the whole licensing process needs a good overhaul as most of it is nonsence.