Brocock Contour advice/help required

Joshua1993

Hello,

I've recently acquired a Brocock Contour Elite Super Six air rifle - however I'm having a few issues that I'm hoping you may be able to help me with.

1. EDIT: Resolved this issue.

2. After charging the air rifle to 190 BAR, I can get around 10-12 really accurate shots however after that the rest of the shots are all over the place. Which bothers me, at first I thought it was the pellet however after trying a few others it doesn't seem to have helped. What is also strange is that they are not consistent either i.e. I could understand if the pressure is dropping, the pellet would go slightly lower.

To confirm I have tried JSB, RWS Super Field and a few other pellets.

3. The air rifle charges to 200 BAR Maximum, I charge it to around 180-190 to be safe, how low should I let it go before I refill the air rifle. This isn't an issue, I just wanted to check.

I have been contacting the gentleman that I purchased the air rifle and bottle from however I really don't want to bother him anymore because if they are just issues that I can easily resolve and if that are no faults with the actual equipment then its not fair. So I'm really hoping that someone will be able to help me because I've been trying to resolve this for a couple of days now but to no avail.

Regards,

Joshua

Edited by Joshua1993

OK, I can help a bit. The charging tube is probably leaking, explaining why you can't fill it beyond 150; assuming that the arrow is pointing to the point from which it is leaking. What will be happening is the leak will be so small that it is happy up 150 or so, but after that pressure, rather than going into the gun, the air finds a different path of least resistance, pushing out the side of the hose. That's easily sorted; either glue it up as a patch job (something like areldite would do) or just buy a new hose...

http://airgunbuyer.com/details.asp?cat=Charging%20Eqpmt.&SubCat=MDE%20Charging%20Equipment&Product=1449

The second issue seems a little odd. Can I ask, how many magazines have you got? With my Wolf, I was having a similar problem. first 10 shots would be fine, then they'd be all over the place for the next ten. It turned out to be a duff magazine. If that's not an issue, then it seems a bit more complicated. Has the barrel ever been cleaned? if it's never been done, give it a good clean, then have another go. If it was cleaned within the last 100 shots or so, wait a bit, as some guns benefit from a bit of lead lining before it really beds down accurately. after that, it becomes a bit more expensive and serious: seals and valves/hammer. If it's always the case that from a full charge from 190 the first 12 are fine then it gets a bit ropey, then main seals will be the place to start. Seals need pressure on them and if they've started to disintegrate - which happens with any gun - then as the pressure goes down, leaks will come and more air will come out than should, putting pressure on the valve and might throw the accuracy, once the pressure gets down to a particular point.

Have you run it over a chrono? check the power over the complete range, not just the first 12. if the power is still consistent, i don't know what's wrong! If the first 12 are all good, then they go mad - both over and under 12 - it is probably a valve issue. Either way It's now getting expensive if you can't do it yourself - assuming that is the problem...You can do a seal change yourself if you know how to, but it's a fiddle and MAY not solve the issue.

If any of this solves the problem, grand! But I suspect the only true way is to send it off to Browcock and get them to have a play, which I would be asking the chap you bought it from to pay for, as it doesn't sound like it's really working properly!

OK, I can help a bit. The charging tube is probably leaking, explaining why you can't fill it beyond 150; assuming that the arrow is pointing to the point from which it is leaking. What will be happening is the leak will be so small that it is happy up 150 or so, but after that pressure, rather than going into the gun, the air finds a different path of least resistance, pushing out the side of the hose. That's easily sorted; either glue it up as a patch job (something like areldite would do) or just buy a new hose...

http://airgunbuyer.com/details.asp?cat=Charging%20Eqpmt.&SubCat=MDE%20Charging%20Equipment&Product=1449

The second issue seems a little odd. Can I ask, how many magazines have you got? With my Wolf, I was having a similar problem. first 10 shots would be fine, then they'd be all over the place for the next ten. It turned out to be a duff magazine. If that's not an issue, then it seems a bit more complicated. Has the barrel ever been cleaned? if it's never been done, give it a good clean, then have another go. If it was cleaned within the last 100 shots or so, wait a bit, as some guns benefit from a bit of lead lining before it really beds down accurately. after that, it becomes a bit more expensive and serious: seals and valves/hammer. If it's always the case that from a full charge from 190 the first 12 are fine then it gets a bit ropey, then main seals will be the place to start. Seals need pressure on them and if they've started to disintegrate - which happens with any gun - then as the pressure goes down, leaks will come and more air will come out than should, putting pressure on the valve and might throw the accuracy, once the pressure gets down to a particular point.

Have you run it over a chrono? check the power over the complete range, not just the first 12. if the power is still consistent, i don't know what's wrong! If the first 12 are all good, then they go mad - both over and under 12 - it is probably a valve issue. Either way It's now getting expensive if you can't do it yourself - assuming that is the problem...You can do a seal change yourself if you know how to, but it's a fiddle and MAY not solve the issue.

If any of this solves the problem, grand! But I suspect the only true way is to send it off to Browcock and get them to have a play, which I would be asking the chap you bought it from to pay for, as it doesn't sound like it's really working properly!

Thank you so much for all that information.

Its like new, less than a month old. I still can't find them in dealers - I was told by Brocock that they are being released over the next week or so in shops.

It only came with 1 magazine, it would seem that is a possibilty because it does seen like you can have a couple of okay shots then 1 or 2 bad. Firstly I think I will try and run it over a chrono to see if the power is consistent and maybe let someone else has ago to see what they think. Also, I'll give the barrel a clean as you suggested to see if that helps.

I have given it a good chance to settle though, I've put quite a few pellets through already.

I'm uncertain if Brocock's warranty is transferable however I may get in contact with them to see - I'm not sure if they will help though. I don't want to pay out any more money though as I have already gone over my original budget and also I wouldn't have the knowledge or time to do anything technical myself.

Edited by Joshua1993

that would explain why I couldn't find any info about it on the internet searching for the contour super six elite as opposed to the normal one! So the one you have, is it a prototype model or just a very early release? Definitely get in contact with Browcock though. They won't be too happy about a brand new gun already developing problems! being that new, there's no way any of it should be down to wear and tear. Call em up tomorrow and harangue them over it, regardless of whether the warranty is transferable. Bad press on a brand new gun is never something a company wants to hear - it all gets a bit embarrassing for them...

that would explain why I couldn't find any info about it on the internet searching for the contour super six elite as opposed to the normal one! So the one you have, is it a prototype model or just a very early release? Definitely get in contact with Browcock though. They won't be too happy about a brand new gun already developing problems! being that new, there's no way any of it should be down to wear and tear. Call em up tomorrow and harangue them over it, regardless of whether the warranty is transferable. Bad press on a brand new gun is never something a company wants to hear - it all gets a bit embarrassing for them...

Thanks again for your reply.

I'm not to sure, I think its probably just an early model. I think I will try to run it through a chorono first. I am quite confident that it is the rifle, however I don't want to cause any embarrassment for myself.

Although, I will definitely contact them if their is an issue.

Edited by Joshua1993

Why not ask the previous owner to take it back to the dealer that sold it-its their responsibility and it wont cost him.

That would be a last resort. I purchased the air rifle at distance so it would be rather difficult logistics wise and I don't believe it was purchased directly from a 'dealer'.

Obviously if their is a fault, I would first contact Brocock to see if it is covered under warranty. Then at last resort contact the seller.

However at the moment I would really like to get the air rifle tested to see if their is an issue or am I doing something wrong.

Edited by Joshua1993