Pair of Oars

Popgun

We`ve just obtained a pair of Admiralty oars for our 23ft double handed punt off of ebay which cost £90 quid.

You`d think that, living in Portsmouth, such things would be easy to come by. Not any more! It would seem that the navy no longer uses rowing boats and the Admiralty oar survives in name only.

Unable to find any anywhere else another punting mate recently bought a pair from the oarmakers Collars in Oxford. If you look at their website, be prepared for a sharp intake of breath when you see the prices! At the end of the day, that was the only option left for him.

They are well made and at least you know they`re new and not up to fifty years, or more, old.

In the meantime, if I find anything in any of the local boatyards I`ll let you know.

I thought this was the prelude to a Two Ronnies-esque humour filled anecdote (with pictures) culminating in something like 'and I was so drunk, so I said what the hell both of you lovely ladies are coming with me tonight'.

Great minds think alike, a gentleman is on the municipal boating lake and loses his oars.

He shouts to a chap in another boat with two ladies " Oy mate, can I borrow one of your oars" to which the chap replies, " they are not oars, one is my wife one is my mother"

Great minds think alike, a gentleman is on the municipal boating lake and loses his oars.

He shouts to a chap in another boat with two ladies " Oy mate, can I borrow one of your oars" to which the chap replies, " they are not oars, one is my wife one is my mother"

Gedunk tishhhhhhhhhh! He's here all week folks!!!!! He is!!

We`ve just obtained a pair of Admiralty oars for our 23ft double handed punt off of ebay which cost £90 quid.

You`d think that, living in Portsmouth, such things would be easy to come by. Not any more! It would seem that the navy no longer uses rowing boats and the Admiralty oar survives in name only.

Unable to find any anywhere else another punting mate recently bought a pair from the oarmakers Collars in Oxford. If you look at their website, be prepared for a sharp intake of breath when you see the prices! At the end of the day, that was the only option left for him.

They are well made and at least you know they`re new and not up to fifty years, or more, old.

In the meantime, if I find anything in any of the local boatyards I`ll let you know.

Thanks for the info Nick the days of poping into Belsize boatyard are long gone you could get anything there I'll probable have to make a pair more work, i've just finished the poole canoe and am just about to start a new duckpunt for the shoulder gun a small one for me and the dog still you have to do some thing to pass the time,then it will be time to get the single punt and big guns ready for the new season.

Cheers Pat.

Thanks for the info Nick the days of poping into Belsize boatyard are long gone you could get anything there I'll probable have to make a pair more work, i've just finished the poole canoe and am just about to start a new duckpunt for the shoulder gun a small one for me and the dog still you have to do some thing to pass the time,then it will be time to get the single punt and big guns ready for the new season.

Cheers Pat.

The Belsize boatyard, that brings back memories. Boats with holes, lead life jackets and all manner of marine junk, vastly overpriced, the lot!

There is still Aladdin's Cave (the old one on the barge) on the Hamble, they might just have something.