And so it starts again!

silver pigeon 3

I am just sitting back having a beer after re stocking our smallholding over the last few days. Sunday saw us bring in this years lambs, 9 in total and a real mixed bunch of different breeds and crosses. They are all orphan lambs so the down side is that they will take a while longer to bring on to slaughter but the upside is that they are already really tame as they were bottle fed from birth.

Tonight i was out collecting the 1st lot of pigs, we couldn't get hold of our usual Glos old spots so after a bit of researching we managed to get hold of 4 Saddleback's they made the hour journey tonight and are currently settling in to there new larger enclosure. First impression are good and they seem nice pigs.

I will post some pictures of the new stock in the next day or so for any one that is interested.

Commenting to see the pics. Tasty! Wish I had the space...

will put the pics on later, it is something i had wanted to do for years and a chance meeting with another chap in the local who also wanted to do it prompted us to go out and search for some land to rent. We now lease an old orchard of just over 2 acres for £36 a month, this includes all the fruit from the trees. Last year we picked it all and had it juiced and bottled there was over 100 bottles of 75cl and that was from a bad crop, by the sales of this alone it covered about half the years rent.

We are now starting to look for more grazing as the next move is 2 smaller breed beef cattle.

Yeah the pigs are fed the windfalls and they love them, i reckon it does play a part in how great they taste along with the fact we bring them on quite slowly so they develop a good flavour unlike most of the shop bought pork which are slaughtered at roughly 4-5 months. Ours wont go to slaughter until about 7 months or when they are about 80kg+

Edited by silver pigeon 3

70 ??? Jesus Christ ha I get them at 20-30 quid for saddle backs

The normal price round here is about £40 a weaner for rare breeds down to £20 for generic white pigs, we just paid £45 a pig for 16 week old as like i said there is nothing about unless you want to pay silly money!

It's a great set-up (I've seen it), I'll bring the boy up again for some pig-ticking soon... ;)

You are welcome any time mate.

Here are the photos of the new stock.

2013-06-24072340_zps85903c6a.jpg

2013-06-27071550_zpsc6e2b973.jpg

[/url]

2013-06-27071601_zps22b485f2.jpg

Edited by silver pigeon 3

What state is the field in after the pigs have been on ? Do you find they completely turn it over or just make a few wallow spots?

They normalley just make a few wallow spots, but we do move them around as they grow to give the field chance to recover, the Tamworth crosses do dig more than the old spots though. If it was/is a problem you can ring there noses to keep digging to a minimum. :good: