Shotgun Insurance and NTS

Scully

As we are often told that shooting steel through non-steel proofed guns is ok so long as the choke is no tighter than 1/2,this practise just caters for the pressure created at the muzzles by the non compressionable steel shot,but what about the highly polished forcing cones and the journey down the barrels?

For those of you who have shotgun insurance,does the insurance cover your gun against damage caused to the internal surfaces of the barrels by the use of steel shot regardless of whether your gun is proofed for steel or not?

This is an important point.

Check the policy wording some home policies for example will not cover the guns away from home. Some policies will not cover damage caused by internal explosion

If you put the wrong cartridges in the gun such as super steel in a standard proof gun I suspect that would void the policy.

Steel shot is supposed to stay within the protective wad as it travels down the barrels, if the wad fails and this causes the damage then I suspect the liability will rest with the manufacturer of the cartridge. But I will check with underwriters next week

Every claim will be judged on its merits at the time.

Daibd

Steel shot is supposed to stay within the protective wad as it travels down the barrels, if the wad fails and this causes the damage then I suspect the liability will rest with the manufacturer of the cartridge.

This is what I would have thought,regardless of whether the gun is proofed for steel or not.

But what about the scenario where the gun is proofed to 1370 bar ( the proof pressure for hp steel ), but not stamped with the Fleur De Lys? I would suspect an insurer would try and argue that the gun was not proofed for steel.

There is nowt special about the steel proofing other than that its done for up to 1370 bar rather than 1200 bar which some older guns are stamped.

Although at the end of the day, as long as you are using factory loads then if shot leads the wad then its down to a manufacturing fault.