Newbie corvid advice please

spready

Guys im new to corvid control, so looking for abit of advice, before i head out to the field and waste my time.

One of the fields i shoot i huge and has spring barley in at the moment so not much shooting there at the moment, but is between a pig farm (about half mile away) and a huge wood that unfortunately i dont have permissions at, now the crows/jackdaws/rooks fly back and forth all day long, but most of the time out of shotgun range.

Ive got a pair of sillosock crows on bouncers poles, would putting them out and maybe a few full bodies in the hedge or maybe a owl decoy bring them in just to have a look out of curiousty and give me the range with the 12g? Ive also got a primus power crow call, would that help?

Sorry if it sounds a very newbie question, but I've got all the crow decoys ready for when the stubble is ploughed in and the field but thought id try them out in the mean time !

The Primos Power Crow caller, if used correctly, will be a great asset in your kit. I have use one for years. Also, I find that a motorised flapper with a dead Crow/Jackdaw attached, also helps bring in the birds. My flapper has an intermittent timer fitted to it, and the bird 'flaps' for approx 20 times, with a 5 second break.

Your main thing to remember is to keep yourself completely concealed, and camo'd up. Crows have better eyesight that Pigeons, and will spot you if you are exposed. Also, keep as still as possible until the last second before you fire. After I have shot Crows/Jackdaws, I add them to my decoys by placing a 12" bamboo cane up through the birds vent and into the head. The rest of the cane is inserted into the ground, and keeps the bird in an upright position. Corvid shooting ranks as number one in my book.