For Onyx

new to the flock

Sorry Buzz

I was suppose to have this typed up yesterday for you. There are several ways to cure jumping up. One that I dont recommend that you use is kneeing him in the chest. First off to be successful you need several people who can time the correction properly and if delivered with to much force you can not only break the dogs ribs but you run the risk of dislocating his back if he goes over backwards and lands wrong.

What I do recommend is as follows. Use the kids as your initial guest. Place Onyx on his training collar, (choke or pinch), next place him on a 4 foot lead. Approach the gust as Onyx's starts his jump, (just as his front feet leave the ground), pop the leash and give a verbal off command.This should take 4 to 6 corrections before he becomes very hesitant about jumping. The next step is to have the guest try to get the dog to jump, they can pat their chest, slap theirs knees, but cannot call his name. If he trys to jump time your correction as before, just as his front feet leave the ground. Again this should take 4 to 6 corrections. Run this exercise for a week to two weeks changing guests as often as possible and he should loose interest in jumping up. This is not to say that he will not need a refresher course somewhere down the road.

Good luck and keep me posted.....Cheers...NTTF

• 1 month later...

our westie did the same littel bu99er

when it jumped up grab the front paws , and hold them for 5 mins ,

as the dog sees it it jumps up as it pleases BUT it also jumps down the samw way , so it jumped up once at be when i came home but it didnt go down for 3 or 4 , that got a 75% cure i do it every so often to keep her in check .

• 5 weeks later...

Soon as dog jumps turn your back and fold your arms. Keep on until you know you can safely give a sit command that will result in the dog sitting then bend down and gently and very calmly praise the sit. You will have to do this for a while and also those around you will have to be consistent too. You can then add an "off" command but not until you have made some progress with the ignoring, if you talk to dog from the start it will keep the animal hyped up.

Good luck!