Spare wheel carrier

Scully

Anybody use a spare wheel carrier on the rear of their Landrover as opposed to having the wheel attached to the rear door?

Was thinking of getting one and wondered how practical they are if access to the rear door is used a lot.I use my Landrover for work and wondered if I have to unlatch the carrier each time I want access to the rear,or is there some type of sliding runner which means you can open rear door while carrier remains attached to door.

Cheers in advance.

I bought a Mantec swing away wheel carrier from FlatdogUK for my D90 Station Wagon. It wasn't cheap but I can safely say it was one of the best decisions I've made concerning the Landy.

http://www.flatdoguk.com/defender%2Dspare%2Dwheel%2Dcarrier%7E485

I decided that this model which is secured to the rear cross member at its lower point was best for me as it meant that it wouldn't interfere with the existing lamp guards that I had fitted. It was delivered very promptly and was very easy to fit, only requiring a few spanners, sockets and a drill. The wheel carrier made an immediate difference to the rear door which used to creak and groan as the hinges struggled under the strain of the sare wheel and the Memsahib, who is fairly diminutive, struggled to open and close it. In fact if the car was parked facing downhill on a slope she was knackered . The door now swings open smoothly and without a sound with the wheel carrier taking all the strain.

I went for the Mantec option as I've found it pays to fit quality parts to your Landy from the get go but there are other makes available and wheel carriers do come up on fleabay occasionally.

Green Oval Syndrome is a debilitating condition that can control a mans life. Good luck.