Albino Sparrow

Pole Star

Any pw members ever seen a black Grey Partridge ? more than 20 years ago I was short or cash & needed to go back to Australia so as always money has to be raised in hard times ! . At the time in my collection of guns I had a lovely antique 20g muzzle loader of Willkinson of Pall Mall in its case & it had to go :sad1: & I sold it to a collector who invited me to see his gun room , wow ! what a collection DB flintlock Mantons , Henry Nocks ect .

In the gun room was a stuffed hawk & the conversation got around to stuffed birds & he told me of a black partridge he had shot & was amazed at the colour of it & took to a Natural History museum to get them to have a look at it & they said perhaps he should get it mounted .

So off he went to a taxidermist & showed it to the taxidermist & who said , that's unusual yes I can do it for you & I will give you a call when it is ready .

Any way some months went by & he had no call so he called the Taxidermist to enquire if it was ready for collection , oh said the taxidermist its done but when I washed the skin it cleaned up as a normal grey partridge , suspicious :hmm: ? . Well the man who shot this black partridge was not amused as one would imagine ! .

One day I was reading a lovely book I had which was a copy of Millis Game Birds the bird artist of the around 1900 & I am sure he said in his book about black grey partridges that were of a sooty colour , so I wonder :hmm: the mind boggles .

Would like to know about theses black partridges & has any one ever seen one , a pic would be even better .

ATB Pole Star

ps update on that Albino sparrow , its has not been seen for some time but my friend my have a pic of it which I just might be able to upload here .

Have never seen a black grey partridge but have seen an albino grey squirrel and their was a white greylag about last year. I have a picture of a white red hind somewhere. I will put it up if I can find it.

Would be good to see them Redshank , there was or still is that white greylag here or some where perhaps the one you saw is the same one as the Orkney bird , reports are it gets around a bit & considering they can live to a good age it may well be around a lot longer .

ATB

• 3 weeks later...

Last week I got a chance to have a trip to the Tring Museum in Hertfordshire which was the first time I had been there since 1960s as boy when my Mother took me & wow what a collection , if you do not know about this museum & are interested in Natural History & wild life around the world as opposed to some of the mere trigger puller numbers boys then the Tring Museum is a must & is well worth a special trip .

Its free to get in but this is no back garden shed collection which was originally started by Sir Walter Rosthschild & is run as part of the London Natural History Museum .

The reason I have posted this here is because there is a most magnificent albino Woodcock in the collection along with an albino Swift alongside other part & full albino specimens as well as many other birds, mammals , big game & wildfowl ect ect & to take it all in you will need a full day .

We found plenty of car parking space there but the cafe was a let down & seems only to be open weekends & bank holidays so out side of those times its a vending machine job !.

Do pay it a visit if its your thing & take the kids along as they will love the education & so will you , its fascinating :good: .

ATB Pole Star

Edited by Pole Star

Cheers for the heads up pal. Sounds right up my street!

Karpman

Some nice mounted Pike & Carp ect let me how you like the Museum . Good luck ATB

ps I was so busy taking it all in I forgot to take some photos Karpman especially of that snow white Woodcock so I hope you can make up for my failings & get some pics to post on here because I know a lot of you will be interested :good:

Edited by Pole Star

Karpman if you can get to Tring museum & get a pic of that albino woodcock have a close look through the museum & some where in there is a thing I heard of years ago in the Shooting Times which was called a Chickant ? which is Pheasant X Chicken cross , its like an odd Cock Pheasant looking bird with some Chicken characteristics , it really is most odd :hmm::hmm: . ATB Pole Star ps I want to go again but its a hell of a long way from Orkney