Rats Tails

e2000e2000e

I have a few MK4 Fenn traps deployed around my chicken coops, in modified planters cut at both ends, in the last week I have caught 3 rats tails! I have had success with the traps previously, but this week all I have had in the trap was the tails.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this and keep the rat in the trap? smaller tunnel? bait above the trap? any suggestion welcome, thanks.

How tall is your tunnel? It should only be a tiny bit deeper than the height of the closed trap so when it is set off the trap doesn't throw the rat up and out of the jaws. It sounds like this is happening as when thrown up it's trailing tail is getting nipped off but if the tunnel was the correct height the rat can't be thrown up and out but remains within the jaws. My tunnels are usually no more than an inch (probably less) more than the trap height and about 1/2 an inch or less either side. Hope this helps.

Thanks, that could be an issue, I'll cut them down see if that helps!

Edit to say thinking about the ones that have been successful are smaller and this is a slightly taller one that has been producing the tails, so sounds like that might be the issue! cheers again.

Edited by e2000e2000e