air arms s200

mahmood

You need to fill it to 3000psi or 200 bar what ever your gauge reads by, the problem with your scope is it needs packing, both my FT guns have been packed. I think you mean you cannot adjust your scope up enough to meet your shots?

if so what you need to do is wind the adjuster from either up to all the way down or vice versa and count the no. of clicks, half it and set the adjuster at that. Then loosen off the cap on your rear mount and take the front cap off then get yourself some 35mm camera film ( i use the negatives you get in the front of your photies back from the developers) cut to exactly the same length as the cradle on you front mount and place a couple of layers between the underneath of your scope and front mount, replace the top cap and tighten it all down again check with a shot if its not nearly cock on add or take-away film until its about right ( the closer the better) then just fine tune with the adjuster.

Hope this helps

leon

DON'T fill to 200 bar or 3000PSI. Manufacturers spec is 190 max. but as has already been said most guns perform better at 180. To be certain you'll have to do a chrono run AND constantly use the same guage for filling.

Equally DON'T cut negative to the length of the cradle. If you do so you'll crush the tube at the sides due to the extra thickness caused by the negative. There is no way the scope rings can be adjusted any wider, you are simply making them oval in the vertical plane by adding negative. You want a square or so of negative at the bottom of the mount only.

What scope is best? How big is your wallet and what do you want to shoot at what ranges?

I used to own one and have recently sold it. Check out Air Arms own site

http://www.air-arms.co.uk/frameset(sportingrilfes).htm

The spec is 190 bar max. I assume you've never chronoed your gun if filling to 200 bar or 3000 psi. Power will be well down to start with as the valve will not open properly against that pressure.

If you can't see that the scope will crush on your method try exaggerating the packing so you've got a quarter inch or so all around the bottom. Now try putting the scope in that - IT WON'T FIT. On a lesser amount of packing it will be crushed on tightening the top cap down. If you choose to follow the rubbish advice printed in the airgun comics then good luck to you but on this occasion that advice is going to lead to a crushed tube. It's a straightforward matter of physical dimensions. You only wish to alter the vertical dimension as the mounts have no adjustment in the horizontal plane.

Sorry if I sound like I'm jumping on you. That's not my intention.

As a rule scope mounts come in low, medium, and high. If you're on low or medium you can go higher. If you're on high then you'll need a pair of raiser blocks to go higher. This will put your cheek well off the comb though. It will not significantly alter your poi though if that is what you're thinking, unless of course your existing mounts are defective. Try swapping them over so the front is then at the back and vise-versa. Sometimes it makes a difference. If it doesn't then no amount of new mounts will alter things - only shimming or an adjustable mount will do. An adjustable mount is not desireable on a S200 as it'll cover the loading port.

• 2 weeks later...

Scope: Try a decent 3-9x40 or similar, maybe with an illuminated reticle. Hawke do one that is a 3-9x44 (I think) that fits the bill, but is about 100 notes. Good scope though.

Failing that, phone up Henry Krank and get one of their 2.5-10x56 IR scopes. I've not used mine yet, but as soon as I get home, I'm going to see what sort of improvement I get over my Simmons 3-9x40.

As for the fill pressure... I agree totally with what people are saying here. My Flacon will take 200 Bar, but Falcon reccommend filling to 187 Bar as a matter of course. It's a lot more consistant off the bat and you don't start off by losing the first few shots.

_Never_ overfill your gun if you can help it. I've been doing diving for a long time, as well as playing paintball and the one thing that scares me about them both is standing next to someone if/when an HP air bottle goes off. I've had a liquid CO2 bottle vent over my arm and that did enough damage.

You should be getting any pre-charged air rifle checked by a qualified airsmith every two years.

Wookie

Overfilling a gun isn't really a problem as far as blowing it up is concerned. You are likely to blow a seal or burst disc but not explode the gun. Whilst under development the new BSA Hornet was destruction tested to 12000 PSI before it exploded - far more than even the most ham fisted filler could acheive with a 300 bar bottle. If memory serves AA air tubes are designed to give around the threads - ruining the tube but not taking your head off.

• 2 years later...

:huh: i was just reading all the comments for this conversation, some interesting points. i would reccommend filling to 180-190 bar (my brother insists on filling his to 230 bar, is he crazy?), if you fill too much then you are likeley to blow out your seals (the cylinder may be tested to a higher pressure but remember, the seals are still the weakest point as they are only made of rubber. have you ever seen a projectile air cylinder? they make one hell of a pellet & may damage the gun in the process!). but don't let this put you off, i would highly reccommend this rifle to anyone as it is very affordable, very accurate, very reliable & generally very safe to use. when it comes to problems zeroing a scope, i would reccommend a small strip of tinfoil placed front-to-back between the scope & the clamp (not beween the clamp & scope rail!) as packing material, this will allow very minor modifications to raising your scope rather than using something thicker like negative film. also, you should consider which scope you are using as some are very easily knocked off zero (you shouldn't have too much trouble with this as the s200 has next to no recoil). hope this helps...

ps. i have a friend who has just bought a logun solo for £400, he decided he was going to oil the barrel & poured it down the muzzle! (he now has a flooded weapon & will be very lucky if it works for much longer). please don't make the same mistake & under no circumstances use any petroleum-based lubricant as this will destroy every rubber seal it comes into contact with, use a silicone-based lubricant for problem-free shooting!...

My S200 likes 170 BAR fills,anything above that and the power drops to 10.3 ft lb,from 170 BAR it gives a very consistent 11.4 ft lbs,and 60 plus shots (.22) til it starts to drop (approx 90 BAR).

Filling the gun to higher pressures will not give you more power,but reduce it as the hammer cannot open fully against such high pressures.