chickens and flubenvet

we have a couple of chickens that live in one of the release pens..they belong to one of the keepers and as he is away for a week I am looking after them......

not that they take much looking after because they are in with 400 poults

heres the question

the poults are starting the worm treatment in the pellets so do you think it will be ok to eat the hens eggs, which will be eating the pellets as well?

I work in a feed mill that produces pheasant feed aswell as poultry feed, if your feed is medicated at source it will/should have the correct inclusion rate and therefore no withdrawal period for the consumption of the eggs

For the record, all pheasant feed is classed as a clean ration, i.e. no growth promoters as the ones that are added to chicken grower rations will/can kill species such as turkey, guineafowl, duck and pheasant.

The one thing that is added to the pheasant feed that we produce is avatec which is to help prevent coccidiosis. Feeds containing Avatec must be withdrawn at least 5 days before the birds are killed for human consumption. So i would imagine this would include eggs

I use flubenvet on my chucks and I think the recommended withdrawal period is only a matter of days.

Personally I don't bother and eat them anyway, but do adhere to the advice if the eggs are going for sale.

On the plus side, I've never had worms :lol: