Biltong from goose meat ?

Pole Star

Always looking for new ways to use up goose meat here in Orkney & I wondered if anyone has tried making African biltong from them ?

When I have been shooting in South Africa on the farms we stayed at the farmers always made us very welcome & fed us well & on one farm we stayed at we had a plate of very hot & spicy game meat biltong which we munched away on as we sat around a camp fire & it was delicious , this combined with our cold beers & yarns was night to remember .

I know we do not have proper hot sunshine like Africa dose but I understand it can be made ? any ideas ? :hmm:

I've been making biltong for 25 years. In theory you can make it with any meat - but personally I would not use birds - most mammals are ok though.

Thanks for your input aris but why not birds ? I experimented a little with goose breast meat but not in true sun dried fashion & the result I got was ok but could have been improved on & it was hot & spicy but I am sorry to say I forgot how I done it :stupid: I know I should have wrote it down !. Note they use Ostrich meat :hmm:

ATB Pole Star

Edited by Pole Star

Possibly for irrational reasons :-) At the back of my mind, I just can't get past eating raw poultry. I've seen chicken biltong in South Africa, and turkey jerky in the USA. I've eaten traditional Nigerian air dried guinea fowl - but with some trepidation.

No reason why you could not give it go. I would be sure it is cut thin, and dried all the way through. No 'wet' poultry biltong :-)

You need a biltong box which is basically a bilong dehydrator. You can go the DIY route, or buy a ready made box and spices.

This is a great place to start.

http://www.biltongbox.com/biltong.html

You can use an old kitchen cabinet to make a box. Incandescent light bulbs can be a bit more difficult these days - but special use bulbs can be found - for instance oven bulbs, or special ceramic heaters used for Vivariums (pet reptiles).

Ready made boxes are more likely to have spousal approval, and tend to be fan operated too. Best ready made boxes have heat source at te bottom, and an extractor fan at the top.

Just been looking for my Bush Wear catalog am sure there is some thing they have on biltong/jerky , still looking for it :sad1: but let you know what I can find .

ATB Pole Star

ps can anyone name any books on this subject ?

pps thanks for posting that link its great :good:

Edited by Pole Star

Possibly for irrational reasons :-) At the back of my mind, I just can't get past eating raw poultry. I've seen chicken biltong in South Africa, and turkey jerky in the USA. I've eaten traditional Nigerian air dried guinea fowl - but with some trepidation.

No reason why you could not give it go. I would be sure it is cut thin, and dried all the way through. No 'wet' poultry biltong :-)

Interesting stuff aris tell me if you don't mind how was that air dried guinea fowl ? guinea fowl are fine eating better than chicken & pheasant & I can't under stand why they are not more popular , have a look in Tescos as they often turn up in the reduced counter because the UK house wife just cant get their mind on them , get one ladies they are great ! .

ATB Pole Star

no mate, they're hot smoking the sausage, to cook it. The jerky they're doing it dehydrated...

But yes, agreed 100 percent, poultry and wildfowl are totally diffrent meats, don't eat uncooked white poultry ever.

Edited by Marc Z

Hi Pole Star,

I reckon you could use your sentry box type smoker as a biltong box. A decent sized incandescent light bulb as a heat source at about half height and the meat hung above it would do the job perfectly. I've not made any biltong or jerky with goose but as you know I air dry it and I wouldn't have any qualms about giving it a go if I had the ready supply that you do.

no such thing as under-cooked duck. You can think of it like steak, it's best char-grilled and crispy on the edges and pink with slight red in the middle. All living things will be carrying bugs. Farmed birds are a lot more susceptible to them from the confines of their life, hygiene etc. In jerky making marinades and salt kill most bacteria and the dehydrating process removes moisture and therefore prevents bacteria from forming.

Hi Pole Star,

I reckon you could use your sentry box type smoker as a biltong box. A decent sized incandescent light bulb as a heat source at about half height and the meat hung above it would do the job perfectly. I've not made any biltong or jerky with goose but as you know I air dry it and I wouldn't have any qualms about giving it a go if I had the ready supply that you do.

Good idea Jonty I will look into it shortly I have some geese from the cull & all young birds so I am looking into ways to use them & will try your salami , some biltong & goose wurst sausages that have half a cup of Drambuie in the mix which sounds interesting as it is a sweet whisky liquor so it should be a must for an alco like me :lol:

Thanks Pole Star

I think I will start on the goosewurst sausages first lads as it will take a while to sort out a drying system for biltong will get back here if its successful & I have not keeled over with food poisoning ??? Anyway I must get breasting out again so may be back later .

ATB Pole Star

ps Jonty can your goose salami be cold smoked ? I suppose it can be treated like any other type of sausage ?

You need a biltong box which is basically a bilong dehydrator. You can go the DIY route, or buy a ready made box and spices.

This is a great place to start.

http://www.biltongbox.com/biltong.html

You can use an old kitchen cabinet to make a box. Incandescent light bulbs can be a bit more difficult these days - but special use bulbs can be found - for instance oven bulbs, or special ceramic heaters used for Vivariums (pet reptiles).

Ready made boxes are more likely to have spousal approval, and tend to be fan operated too. Best ready made boxes have heat source at te bottom, and an extractor fan at the top.

Great link thanks.

Without sounding like a posh ####, i have heard about people using the warming oven on an Aga to do Biltong. If its a bit warm leave the oven door open a bit.

Anyone?

I have heard of using an oven, or even the airing cupboard (I suspect they were not married). What is important isn't the heat, but the humidity and air circulation. The box above uses lightbulb. When the heat from the light bulb rises, it creates air circulation through convection as well as moderating the humidity in the box.

Give it a go using a cardboard box. An easy disposable solution.

Edited by aris