Why no pigeons??

Wayne

:< I don't get it - I live in a park type thingy (well, in a house, in a park) and all round my yard theres loadsa woodies. (I can only really shoot in my yard coz outside that its public open space.)

I put out 4 decoys in the yard & I was quite chuffed how realistic they looked & also put out some grass seed (is that illegal??....woteva! lol) - but nothing! Ok, I got one days ago (now in my freezer :yp: ), but since then not a single woody has entered the yard!

Wots wrong with em?

Like some1 here said once, it's almost as if they don't want to be shot!

So is it just patience, or is there more I need to do decoy wise??

Thanks in advance folks,

Wayne.

PS: I think this is a great forum - thanx for all ur advice so far.

Ok, thanks, so I'll leave out the grass seed (it wasn't working anyway! lol)

But are 4 decoys enough? Is it crucial to face the pattern into the wind? Any tips?

Cheers,

Wayne

PS: Purely out of interest, can any1 tell me which law relates to using bait for shooting birds? I looked in the WCA 1981 and Part 1 Sect. 5 lists prohibited methods for taking birds, but the closest I could find there was prohibition of 'baited boards' (pt. 1 Sect. 5, para 1b). Does that cover the use of any bait or is it written somewhere else?

And how does it work with animals? Is it an offence to bait squirrels in order to shoot em? I know that animals listed on Sched. 6 can't be taken in certain ways, but that don't list (grey) squirrels. Hmmmm baffling thing English law! (Kinda interesting tho.)

Thanx again.

W

Columbus - unfortunately I dont know much more law than wot I jus posted! :yp:

I cant find anything relevant other than 'baited boards' in the 1981 Act (which is the only Act I actually [excuse pun!] possess) so I wanted to know if its in that Act or another one?

I'm not trying to be difficult or to catch you out or anything! Honest!

Anyway, my main question was about decoys & such & why my freezers still empty! :)

If you only have a small yard then it will be hard for the pigeons to land there, if you have 4 decoys then you may have your patch to cluttered with no room for the pige to land... you may find that as your not on a crop your pige may only be flying over your yard which is good enough with a shotgun but you need them to land so i would cut your decoys down to one, maybe 2, if you have a tree place them in there leaving the pige free to land in the yard or to go into the tree, if possible shoot from a window inside the house (ground floor). A yard isnt natural habitat for woodies and i think youl be hard pressed to get them in even with decoys, you could try sticking one on the roof, i have a large garden in the countryside but theres not a lot of sport to be had, i just check outside my window each morning, sometimes theyl be there, because im isolated with few neighbours i just stick my head out and pop them, i dont really layup and wait for them.

Unless you've got a very big yard I'd doubt you'd be able to shoot in there either without breaking the law.

If I was you and I was seriously about pigeon decoying/shooting, forget about that and go out and contact some farmers to get some real land to shoot over, when you've done that and you've got yourself some land come back and ask questions and we'll be more than happy to help.